Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is this really hunting?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is this really hunting?

If they are good enough to make ethical shots at this distance, as long as the conditions are right(safe), why not?? Bowhunters have been extending their range every season, whats the difference, other than the fact that they have probably a better efficiency at those ranges than most bowhunters do at the long range 40-50 yard shots.Don't get me wrong, I would give up my gun long before I would my bow, but why harp on them for making these shots with (80 %) accuracy.

For an amazing video of a LONG range rifle shot(couldn't get it to upload). Go to you tube and search "338 edge" and watch. In conclusion, my thought is "more power to 'em", so long as they are trained and have honed the skills enough to be efficient.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

but I will never consider it "hunting".
Retrieverman or anyone for that matter, I only name you because it's your quote.

Would you consider waiting in ambush in a treestand hunting and why. Before you answer that it is hunting because of the scouting that you did to pick that tree I bet RR did some too.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I both gun and bow hunt and it is really sad to see "Hunters" bad mouthing others for their method of taking game. Each has to know his or her limitations and abilities. You may ask if a 1000 yard shot is "hunting", well if you get in your stand and a deer comes walking by 5 minutes later and you get a shot with a bow is that a greater degree of "hunting" I think not. I know how far I can shoot my bow and gun and won't take a shot longer than that. Yardage does not make the "hunt".
Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

i see nothing wrong with it how is it harder to shoot a deer at 30 yards with a bow then 1000 yardswith a rifle
Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

I pretty much say to each his own. My only thing is shooting a deer at 1000 yards is a bit much. I for one want to know what is around my target. How aware are they who shoot this distance. Lots of things can go wrong at 1000 yards. Lets hope you dont miss and strike some poor hunter whos setting in a wood line beyond your shot, that you had no idea he was there. What about some hunter whos busted his butt working for that deer only for it to fall while its headed directly for him. There are to many things that could go wrong. But again to each his own.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

20 yards with a bow then shoot 40 yards with a bow
300 yards with a gun then shoot 600 yards with a gun

Both instances doubles the distance but I guarantee you there are more people shooting at 40 yards with a bow that shoud'nt be as compared to people shooting 600 yards with gun 100 fold. How many hunters do you personally know that shoot 40 yards with a bow and should'nt.

Take someone who has never shot either one and spend and hour on both, now after this time I can assure you that with a bow they will start hitting the deer "somewhere", hind leg, guts, tail. That same person with a gun will not come anywhere near the deer when you move it on out there. Now what is "ethical" the 40 yard higher percentage of wounding shot or the 600 yards probably not gonna get ANYWHERE close shot deer lives another day. I bow hunt 99% of the time and feel confident in my abilities and I wish I had the patience to be as prolific as RR is with a rifle.

Now some on here a flaming him but what if I told GMMAT that even though he spends ALOT of time shooting and learning from Rick James ETC that he is unethical for shooting past30 yards because he risks injuring the deer more so than at 20. He knows he can make that shot under the right circumstances. He will get pissed because he has alot of blood sweat and tears invested in his craft if you will. Now put yourself in RR's shoes and look at all the time, $, and practice he has and maybe you will see how he feels and the reason he left this thread and did not come back.

Tha names I choose are hypothetical and are made because we know what GMMAT is going through learning to shot his BT release.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

What about some hunter whos busted his butt working for that deer only for it to fall while its headed directly for him.
Ah well, that's hunting. I'd rather see another hunter kill it then see it on the side of the road after a car or semi hit it.

Sounds like your implying RR doesn't work for his deer.

Something tells me RR isn't doing this type of hunting on Public land or where there are alot of others hunters.

If he hits someone they are proably poaching no big deal.