Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let-off

Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Let-off

What is let-off? I am bow shopping for my first bow and a review I am reading says that the Z3 cam has a 75% let-off but can be adjusted to 65%. Can someone explain?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let-off

Someone will deffinately explain it better than i can but if you have 75% let-off, this means when you come to full draw, your only holding 25% of the poundage you have your bow set at.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Buck_master is correct. Let off is the percentage of weight that is lost when the cams reach full draw. So on the Z3 cam with 75% let off you will only be holding 25% of the weight. For a 70# bow, your holding weight will be 17.5#. The higher the let off percentage, the less weight you will be holding, on the same poundage bow.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 PM

I'll try to explain ( i'll maybe misprononcce words, but i'm really trying to explain it, remember, i'm learning English[8D])

So, let's start!

Like Buck_master says " if you have 75% let-off, this means when you come to full draw, your only holding 25% of the poundage "

The let-off is depending of the cam position (when at full draw). You can modified it by stoping the cam (at a certain place) during its rotation. This will change de let-off (Am I right?).
That's why, when you draw the bow, it's harder to pull the string at the begining and at the end, it's becoming easier.

I hope I was clear enough[:@]

Francis
Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

basically, at rest and while drawing the bow, the majority of the weight is focused on the string. When you reach "letoff", the weight becomes focused on the cables, thus reducing the weight on the string, which means your holding less weight.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some folks like more let off. If you're not ready for it, when you let down, the bow can jerk a bit. I've even seen people get smacked in the lip.

Letting down is when you've drawn your bow back and you don't shoot, for whatever reason. Instead, youslowly return the bow (and arrow) to it's resting state. You'll see archers do this in tournaments, if they don't feel right about the shot. They'll draw back, try to settle, then let down.