Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting a buck mounted...

Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: getting a buck mounted...

ORIGINAL: zip4644

At this point in my hunting career if I shoot a buck it is a wall hanger otherwise I shoot Does.
Me too. If I shoot a buck he's going on my wall. It helps to be able to mount him myself tho.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Bartender

First bow buck, first gun buck kill, and anything P&Y. Next season I do plan on a doe shoulder mount.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the good replies...i was just simply curious...

most of you know my buck i took this year is at the taxi. it was a 10" wide 5x2..but noone on this world can tell me its not worthy of getting mounted...i didnt post this to second guess myself...was just curious if anyone else mounted "firsts"

dad didnt get my first rifle kill or buck mounted...i think getting firsts mounted is kinda...proper?....if you have the funds and desire...guess thats the only "first" i had mounted...didnt get my first turkey mounted or anything else...am getting my first flintlock deer hide tanned...

just a post out of curiousity....

i will continue to take bucks, even if i wont get them mounted. im 20...God willing, i got alot more hunting years left and many more bucks....dont know when i'll get another one mounted....i will know when hes on the ground i suppose.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted for several years and have shot many Doe's and young Bucks when I shot a real nice 8-Point Buck back in Nov. 12 1995 with my Dads 30-06 I had it mounted and the plack reads my name,the date and the words "With Dad's 30-06".He passed away back in 1993 and taught me how to shoot that very same 30-06 while sitting in his lap when I was younger and its more or less dedicated to him!

I shot another nice Split-brow tine 8-Point Buck with my new Browning .243 in Nov 17 2006 and it has my name,the date and reads "On Taylor Farms" to show appreciation to my Father In-law.

I shot another 6-Point Buck with my Bow in Oct. 2006 and it is a smaller Buck and I was planning on having ashoulder mountmade of him or possibly a European mount?Right now he's in my freezer in a Cryogenetic State awaiting my decision and financial status.

I shot another nice 8-Point Buck this past Nov. 2007 on another Farm that 3 of us Leased for the first time so I dropped this last Buck off at the local Taxidermist and put $100.00 down to have it mounted since it was a new Farm and my first nice deer on it....man is it getting expensive!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

all the above as well i plan to get my first buck mounted and maybe my first deer if not my first buck
after that it will need to be a odd looking rack or bigger then the last
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting my 1st buck mounted this year - been hunting 25 years.

This is my biggest - but I've shot a couple that we just as old. I had decided a while back that I would mount the next buck that would beat my personal best - and honestly I wasn't sure if I should have this one mounted until I held up the previous best, a9 point - and it fit inside the rack without touching. That cinched it - and now I cannot wait untill I get it back!

FH