Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post Season Scouting?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Post Season Scouting?

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Immediately following the season I try to focus on tracks..........
I agree. And it sure makes things easier when there is a little snow on the ground. I also concentrate on areas where I have seen deer out of range move during the season and maybe pick out a better vantage point that keeps the wind in my favor.
This is good as a rough starting point, in farm country. There are many things that can't be determined until the season is upon us. Too many variables. Ex. Crop rotation, acorn crop,flooding, snow depth etc. These all change deer movement.

One of the biggest things I look for is a natural or unnatural (as in make your own) funnel that forces deer movement to be in a particular spot.
Such a funnel between a bedding area and a food source is good. A funnel between 2 doe bedding areas, during the rut is even better.

Best of all they're consistant from year to year.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Immediately following the season I try to focus on tracks..........
I agree. And it sure makes things easier when there is a little snow on the ground. I also concentrate on areas where I have seen deer out of range move during the season and maybe pick out a better vantage point that keeps the wind in my favor.
This is good as a rough starting point, in farm country. There are many things that can't be determined until the season is upon us. Too many variables. Ex. Crop rotation, acorn crop,flooding, snow depth etc. These all change deer movement.

One of the biggest things I look for is a natural or unnatural (as in make your own) funnel that forces deer movement to be in a particular spot.
Such a funnel between a bedding area and a food source is good. A funnel between 2 doe bedding areas, during the rut is even better.

Best of all they're consistant from year to year.
You hit the nail on the head Greg I think! Everything you said I believe in and do as well. Good points!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I have been trying to focus on the last 2 seasons (only 2 seasons bowhunting). My main issue/problem is entrance/exits to these locations. Either too much noise or having to walk thru feeding areas. I fully intend to rectify this situation by cutting some discreet trails for better access after season closes. Hopefully this will allow me to access these funnels with less noise and less deer bumped from feeding before light and after dark.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks, LT
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

This is what I have been trying to focus on the last 2 seasons (only 2 seasons bowhunting). My main issue/problem is entrance/exits to these locations. Either too much noise or having to walk thru feeding areas. I fully intend to rectify this situation by cutting some discreet trails for better access after season closes. Hopefully this will allow me to access these funnels with less noise and less deer bumped from feeding before light and after dark.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks, LT
No matter how much trimming and cleaning your going to do on your trails I'm still going to guess that your going to have leaves laying around all over that have fallen off the tree's in late fall. To me the leaves are a heck of allot noisier then the sticks or trails your going to clear away. When going into these funnels or traveling to your stand set ups, make sure the wind is in your favor when walking in and not blowing into your bedding areas for evening hunts or that its not blowing into the feeding areas for your morning hunts. Playing the wind is just as important when walking into your stand as hunting the wind is from your stand IMO.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

[blockquote]quote:

Immediately following the season I try to focus on tracks..........[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

I agree. Deer will travel based on a bunch of variables which occur at different times of the year. And most bets are off during the rut.