Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Managing Herds......

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Managing Herds......

If you did what Iowa does, you'd have better deer.
Explain that one to me. We'd have MANY MORE deer......and have the SAME carrying capacity. Explain to me how increasing the population over and above the carrying capacity of a habitat can = "better deer".

Unless, of course.....your definition of "better deer" only relates to bigger bucks. And in my opinion....THAT would be short-lived, too.....once the overpopulation caught up with the carrying capacity.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Lets put MI regs in Iowa, in 5 years it would suck.

What would happen if the had1 million licensed hunters there??
Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We'd have so damned many they would eat us out of house and home.

Gary.....we have the liberal limits we have....because we HAVE TO. We HAVE to kill deer, here....or they'd overrun us.

If we had Iowa's population.....we'd have bigger deer. It stands to reason that 500,000 deer can grow bigger than 1,000,000 if they're competing for the exact same food sources.

But look at FL. What's their deer population? Are you saying if FL implemented Iowa regs they'd have deer as big as Iowa?
NO

I am saying FL would have more bigger deer for Florida

Most state like MI, NY, PA, NC and most southern states don't know what thier Top end potential is for whitetail bucks. Mainly because they kill them all, there deer are over populated and not getting proper nutrition either.

Kroll wrote a great article on herd size. All deer all have fat, even ones that are not getting as much food as others. The fat content is the same. But the deer with less food source have smaller bones and organs. His point was we can not judge deer health by the fat content. They will rob other systems to store fat. Like Greg said Kroll is the guy, Ozunga is not to shaby either

Iowa has GREAT I mean GREAT doe management. If NC followed Iowa's plan you would not be over run with deer You would have had to follow it since the 70's. States with smaller deer have more to do with deer mangement than location IMO.

NC would have more top end NC bucks if manage properly. Jeff it's not fault of you or NC hunters.
I would say 120'' buck in NC is same age as 160'' buck in Iowa on Average. I would put them in the same class. Top end bucks for their states.

I look at 120'' buck from NC no different than a 160'' buck from Iowa
I look at 130'' buck form NY no differnet than a 160'' buck from Iowa

The Hunter is the same class to me, they put the Top End bucks down in there location.

Your problem Jeff isyou don't know what that is, but if you keep up what you are doing, you will
Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

Without having time to research your states harvest records (I'm at work), and going by your stated observation records, you need to remove a ton of does. By increasing doe permits and decreasing buck permits you'll bring the population back in check along with a better buck /doe ratio. Then you'll have better, larger,quality food supply which will result in healthier deer, including larger bucks.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Most state like MI, NY, PA, NC and most southern states don't know what thier Top end potential is for whitetail bucks. Mainly because they kill them all, there deer are over populated and not getting proper nutrition either.
You kill me, sometimes. What's the first thing we need to do as a country.....to help with immigration? STOP THE FLOW OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS INTO THIS COUNTRY.

What's the first thing you want to focus on when you have a population problem? KILL FREAKIN DEER!

Iowa has GREAT I mean GREAT doe management. If NC followed Iowa's plan you would not be over run with deer You would have had to follow it since the 70's. States with smaller deer have more to do with deer mangement than location IMO.
OK....so tell all the good ol boys in NC that they can't rifle hunt until after the rut. Reduce the number of bucks they can take. But remember....as you're doing this.....your border's still WIDE OPEN! (you're still INCREASING your population)

NC would have more top end NC bucks if manage properly.
And all women would be thin if supermodels if they ordered trimspa. Nice pipedream.

I look at 120'' buck from NC no different than a 160'' buck from Iowa
I look at 130'' buck form NY no differnet than a 160'' buck from Iowa
I've never thought of it that way.....but it makes sense.

The Hunter is the same class to me, they put the Top End bucks down in there location.

Your problem Jeff isyou don't know what that is, but if you keep up what you are doing, you will
We'll see. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

By increasing doe permits and decreasing buck permits
They just did this, here.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Germ is absolutely correct. Dr. James Kroll is a well known whitetail biologist for over 30 years, I think. He may know a thing or 2 about healthy herds, not just population control.
I guess my question would be.........if it is that simple then why don't all the other states just follow along?

After reading all these posts and topics the last few days, it makes me wonder if anybody ever reads any info or studies by these guys??!! Not many people seem to know about Kroll, Ozunga or others, or even the publications like North American Whitetail or Deer& Deer Hunting where their articles can be found.
What I wonder is how many people truely know how to read a "study" and analyze the statistical data within. I have been part of the peer review process for numerous journals including NEJM so I have a bit of confidence in my ability to tell what is relevant and what is not.

I feel comfortable in my opinion that there are many confounding variables that are just not considered and that is the reason why these guys don't have universal acceptance and implementation of their policies.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Translation.....

What works for one DOES NOT work for all.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

What I saw out of state this year TOTALLY changed my opinion on the myth that you need toblast the does to have good hunting........it's just not true, and in my opinion is actually counter productive.
Well Dr Kroll disagree

Ask yourselfthis...............if someone told you they would give you access to 500 acres of landthat had not seen a hunter for 10 years would you be happy or sad??
happy, and even happier if I got one pratice QDM for ten years I was the first person EVER to hunt our farm with a bow in MI. Most hunters in MI went North in the 80's and 90's. I have seen first hand what over buck harvest can do to a prime area.

Works to control numbers...........has no effect on quality of hunting. I have seen the deer numbers in NY rise and fall (sometimes dramatic) over the past 20 years. You used to need 5 guys just to get one doetag..........now you can kill them by the truck load and hunting is no better.......in factit is likely worse in many areas.
Well go MI board guys in NLP have seen a big differnce. Being it's mostly public land the herd has been controlled. Any guesses on what their seeing? On average Bigger deer. One guy was amazed. Now you know as well as I there are two sides of the story. There are some who hate it now. Not seeing as many deer.

Quanity VS Quality fight we have the same one in MI.

How many more hunters are in MI??
200,000 more hunters, 500,000 more deer and way more I mean way more habitat.

Less hunting pressure..........short shotgun season vs long rifleseason
Could not agree more and better doe management

Once again..........you are falling victim to the "lottery" mentality......you are basing your view of PA on a few good deer shot in PA (most of which were on private land). This board is no where near a good sample of an entire state (either way). I was in PA this year and what I witnessed was a much less rosey picture.
2000 PA shot 20% bucks where 2.5 or older
2005 PA sjoy 50% bucks where 2.5 older

AR and doe management are the two big things they changed. Iowa kills more % of their herd than Minn. Data does not lie, all you have stated is opinion.

You have stated it your self, in the world of science opinion means diddle

Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: GregH

Germ is absolutely correct. Dr. James Kroll is a well known whitetail biologist for over 30 years, I think. He may know a thing or 2 about healthy herds, not just population control.
I guess my question would be.........if it is that simple then why don't all the other states just follow along?

After reading all these posts and topics the last few days, it makes me wonder if anybody ever reads any info or studies by these guys??!! Not many people seem to know about Kroll, Ozunga or others, or even the publications like North American Whitetail or Deer& Deer Hunting where their articles can be found.
What I wonder is how many people truely know how to read a "study" and analyze the statistical data within. I have been part of the peer review process for numerous journals including NEJM so I have a bit of confidence in my ability to tell what is relevant and what is not.

I feel comfortable in my opinion that there are many confounding variables that are just not considered and that is the reason why these guys don't have universal acceptance and implementation of their policies.

Atlas,
I don't know what you do for a living but I know that you know all states don't do the same thing because they want to be different or they have their own agenda.

I have no doubt that you can interpret studies, but, have you read any of the ones I've mentioned?

I've followed these guys for years and tend to believe what they are saying.

Quick Reply: Managing Herds......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.