Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Managing Herds......

Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Managing Herds......

Your plan is simple but it would cost NYS millions in license fees,especially with your if you don't buy a license you have to sit out two additional years. DEC would be bankrupt.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

heck, just go out of state for 2 years and drill something in PA and/or Ohio and then come home to a whole new canvas. If you HAVE to get your buck kill jones fix then burn some gas.
Dangggggggg (In my best Joe Dirt)

You might be onto something, there.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Atlas, You can do samething with a little bit longer time peroid by just allowing one buck to be shot,even if it's a BB.

Let's face it I would love to see bigger racked deer consistently, but I don't ever want to do it by decreasing hunter numbers or mandating a AR system.

I honestly believe if a hunter knows
[ol][*]That there are some nice bucks running around.[*]That if I whack this smaller buck I won't get a chance to shoot a bigger one.[*]He will get more selective about what he shoots.[/ol]

This also will still allow the choice for the guy that really doesn't care about racks to shoot what he wants.

Just like a band aid Charlie.........tear it off fast and it hurts less

It's funny how so many people think you need AR to protect small bucks..............when all you really need are bigger bucks.......people in Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, etc don't pass on smaller bucks because they are more patient or diciplined.........it's because they know a bruiser is out there somewhere and they have a REALISTIC chance at getting him.

Guys shoot small bucks because that is all that is out there.............I don't see too many dudes blasting 4 pt bucks on hunting trips to Kansas.........same guy right??
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Your plan is simple but it would cost NYS millions in license fees,especially with your if you don't buy a license you have to sit out two additional years. DEC would be bankrupt.

I don't think it would. You can still hunt does and how many guys would REALLY pass up the chance to be there when the sun comes up on day1 of season 3?? I don't think they would.........pass up the chance to hunt that many more big bucks for 2 years all over $140 they were gonna spend anyways and maybe now they won't have to pay $3,000 to go somewhere else and hunt.

Besides.........the out of state license fees would go up exponentially once word got around.........that would boost the economy as a whole and the DEC directly.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

That 1.5 yr old that made it through the last day before the 2 year layoff be a 4.5 yr old by the time he could be legally hunted, again?

That's awesome. I'd buy into that in a minute.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: GregH

I guess I wasn't clear.......... It may not be bad for young bucks to breed. What I meant to say was ALL bucks will breed, even the inferior ones. The closer you get to a 1/1 ratio, the strongest, most fit and desirable bucks will do most of the breeding. The doe, when given the chance will try to hold out for a super specimen to breed with rather than take Pee Wee Herman because he's all she's got! Sort of like people.[:-]
Last night on Quality Whitetails TV (QDMA) they said that that was what they originally thought but after research that included DNA testing they found that it wasn't true. Even in a herd with a good ratio all the bucks get in on the breeding, more or less equally. They even said that the majority twins and triplets that the does were carrying didn't even have the same sire.
You could be right (I know it's possible about the multiple sires), but it's just not what I'm seeing with my own two eyes.

All the bucks in my area, especially the 1 1/2s do not get in equally on the breeding. Actually, 2 1/2s rarely get to breed. Mostly it's done by the 3 1/2s and older. My area has a good buck/doe ratio.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I thought you weren't a proponent of people telling you what to shoot? I'm serious!

I'm not.........my plan lets people shoot whatever they want.......after year 2. I see this as no different then the doetag system. They hold doe tags all the time, why should buck tags be any different?

Besides when someone knows no one else gets to shoot a buck either it will sting less..........heck, just go out of state for 2 years and drill something in PA and/or Ohio and then come home to a whole new canvas. If you HAVE to get your buck kill jones fix then burn some gas.
Last line is disagree with. I have seen enough money go out of MI, I prefer to keep it in state.

If I ran new york or MI

It would be an OBR and have at it boys When sparkie the wonder buck is in front of you, and the hunter has 1 tag to fill, will see what happens

Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM

JUST MY THOUGHTS....
FIRSTLY, I DO ALL MY HUNTING IN WV. I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THESE POSTS. THIS IS MY PERSON EXPERIENCE AT DEER MGT. THE NUMBER ONE FACTOR ABOVE ALL ELSE THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN HELP A DEER HERD, IS FOOD. I KNOW A FARMER IN POOR ANTLER AREA OF WV, THAT HAS RAISED A BUCK (NON-DNR APPROVED OF COURSE) AND HAS ONLY FEED IT THE BEST OF FOOD SOURCES. AND AFTER 3 YEARS...IT'S A 180INCH BEAST. TO MY KNOWLEDGE THERE HASN'T BEEN A DEER ANY WHERE NEAR THAT SIZE IN THAT COUNTY. AND YES 4-5 YR OLD DEER ARE KILLED IN THE AREA EVERY YEAR. IF A DEER LIKE THAT HAS SUCH GREAT GENES, WHY AREN'T OTHER OLD DEER IN THE AREA THAT BIG...BECAUSE OF FOOD.(P.S. DON'T ASK I'M NOT TELLING WHERE IT IS AND YES HE PLANS TO RELEASE IT, MAYBE NEXT YEAR SECONDLY, LAST YEAR WAS THE FIRST YEAR I FED ALL WINTER AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENED...ALOT BIGGER DEER. DOES AND BUCKS. I KNOW I HAVE TOO MANY IN THE HERD, BUT THEY ARE ALL ALOT BIGGER NOW. HOW MUCH MANAGEMENT CAN ONE PERSON REALLY DUE TO HELP THIER FARM IN DEER HERD SIZE? NUMBER ONE... WV LIMITS DOE AND BUCK #'S. THERE IS NO UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF DOES. LAST SEASON I COUNTED 9 BUCKS AND 23 DOES ON OPENING DAY! YES I SHOT THE BIGGEST OF THE BUNCH. I THINK AN IMPORTANT FACTOR NO ONE HAS REALLY TALKED ANOUT IS THE MONEY INVOLVED IN EXTRA TAGS. WV LICENSE WITH ALL TAGS IS HUGE. I THINK I SPENT 120 LAST YEAR WITHOUT GETTING ALL THAT I COULD HAVE. WHO CAN AFFORD DEER MGT AT THOSE PRICES. I SPEND ALMOST $1000 A YEAR FEEDING TWO FARMS THROUGH THE WINTER. LETS SAY I STOP FEEDING AND BUY MORE TAGS WITH THAT MONEY. I DOUBT THAT THE ANTLER SIZE IS GOING TO INCREASE. IN FACT I BET IT WOULD DECREASE. HUNTING HAS TURNED INTO A BIG MONEY MICHINE! I HAVE READ ARTICLES FROM KROLL AND FIND HIM VERY INTERESTING. BUT MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH RESEARCH IS THAT, THE PEOPLE WHO FUND THESE OPERATIONS ARE ALSO THE ONES MAKING THE $ FROM IT. STATS CAN BE MADE TO GO EITHER WAY, DEPENDING ON THE ANSWER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.I DON'T WANT TO MAKE ANY ONE ANGRY WITH MY EXPERIENCE, I GET NO RESEARCH MONEY FROM ANYONE,SO NO I'M NOT A BIOLOGIST.LASTLY.. I ALSO HUNT A FARM IN MASON WV. WHICH DOES WELL IN ANTLER SIZE EVERY YEAR. IT HAS A OVER POPULATED DOE HERD. BUT THE BUCKS ARE BIG. THE FARM I HUNT, I SEE NICE DEER EVER SEASON. EVEN THOUGH IT'S AN OVER HUNTED COUNTY...MY GUESS...ALOT OF FARMS + FOOD CROPS = BIGGER BUCKS.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's funny how so many people think you need AR to protect small bucks..............when all you really need are bigger bucks.......people in Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, etc don't pass on smaller bucks because they are more patient or diciplined.........it's because they know a bruiser is out there somewhere and they have a REALISTIC chance at getting him.
Yes and no. Personally I wish antler restrictions weren't needed. BUT on the other hand I feel they are the best thing ever to have happened to hunting in PA. Because....a few people now see that hey, there are some nice bucks out there, I have a legit chance to get one, so I'll pass on that small yet legal buck. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it don't but it is SLOWLY changing some people's approach. Eventually, if enough people felt they had a legit chance at a buck, they'd let the small ones grow up and they actually WOULD be bettering that chance for themselves.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Atlas

Where you hunted in sept

What was the hunting pressure like?
Was there an AR in place?
How big was the area you hunted?

What was the herd management plan? There is a ranch in MI that does what I think your place did. If it is the same concept it is an instersting one.

BigJ sorry for hijack, please place complaints to "law" and "order" My left and right arms

BTW atlas you girls in NY need to kill a few more bucks, LOL

MI 2006 numbers for Firearm seson ONLY, I am not talking Muzzle loader or archery

168,000 Antlered
93,000 Antlerless (18600 were BB)
261,000 Total
We know how to kill'em[8D]

Exactly, LOL

As long as states like ours keep the deer managemnt status quo, it will never change. Like a dog chasing his tail.

The thing is change is going to hurt, folks do not like pain

Quick Reply: Managing Herds......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.