Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Managing Herds......

Old 01-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Managing Herds......

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Germ

TDM(traditional deer managment)
If your looking for a high population of deer and you do not care about balance TDMis the way to go.

System based on Quanity, makes it eaiser for hunters to kill deer IMO

I do want to see our deer population higher.......I don't see anything wrong with that. How the heck am I supposed to get a kid interested in hunting when you can sit for a week straight and not see a deer??

I don't care about "balance"........I think that is a man made catch phrase used to push other agendas. I have seen first hand areas that would make "balance" chanters eyes bug out........and the hunting there is OUTSTANDING.
What are the other factors?

Hunting pressure?
Hunter numbers?
AR?

To this place you won't mention by name.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: GregH

all bucks reguardless of age will breed (reducing quality), hunters will be unhappy etc. The herd will continually degrade.

Why is it bad for young bucks to breed??

A bucks genetic code does not change with age...........in other words a deer that will bea 180" hammer at age 4.5 has the same DNA to pass along at age 1.5 as he does when he is 4.5..........just different head gear.
I guess I wasn't clear.......... It may not be bad for young bucks to breed. What I meant to say was ALL bucks will breed, even the inferior ones. The closer you get to a 1/1 ratio, the strongest, most fit and desirable bucks will do most of the breeding. The doe, when given the chance will try to hold out for a super specimen to breed with rather than take Pee Wee Herman because he's all she's got! Sort of like people.[:-]

Granted, some super stud bucks have smaller antlers but the chancesare a balance buck herd will have better antlers than an out of balance one.

I've personally witnessed this in an area of Wis.

In the '70s there were hardly any deer where I lived. By the early '80s we started seeing tracks then eventually deer themselves. From then until the mid to late '90s, some 2 1/2s and all 3 1/2s would make P&Y. From the late '90s through present, the 2 1/2s and 50% of the 3 1/2s won't make P&Y.

The main reason for this is over population. The problem is magnified by the lack of doe harvest. (Years of buck only tags). You only have so many bucks and too many does and with the trend in warmer winter combines to have even the doe fawns breed their first year. A lot of times the mature bucks get really stressed out trying to breed an over abundance of does and when January rolls around, gets cold, they shed their antlers and stop breeding. Well with a lot of un-bred does/fawns still coming into estrus in Jan and Feb., some of the lesser bucks which are not as stressed out and still have their antlers will do the breeding. This leads to smaller scrubbier racks and bodies. (along with less food from over population) Over population is also caused by developement (people), they won't let you hunt.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

How the heck am I supposed to get a kid interested in hunting when you can sit for a week straight and not see a deer??
I have that in one spot I used to hunt our lease, it had alot to do with the surronding properties.

All the other places I hunt in NY I'm shocked if I don't see deer in a full day hunt.

Back when I started hunting you were lucky to see a deer the first few day's of deer season. That's why we had party permits right Atlas.

Kids todayhave it a lot better as far as deer numbers then we did back in the early 70's.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Site Bouncer

Holy crap!!! What happened to my thread!

Ok, Ijust "skimmed" through them all. Let me get one thing straight. When I'm talking about "managing herds" I could care less about the size of the bucks. In fact I would rather there NOT be an abundance of bigger bucks running around. I don't want to skew that number at all. I like to hunt an area that mother nature decided how big that buck got, not me.

I was just questioning why I felt the need to try and kill extra deer each and every year when I don't think (just my opinion) it hasmade an ounce of difference in the herd I hunt.

As an example, I've been walking through the Forest Preserves here in Illinois (no hunting allowed) for years and have made notice of the deer populations, no I didn't count them but anyone with half a brain can see a field full of deer and if that field has gotten more populated or less over the years....I've seen absolutely no discernibledifference in the numbers in 20 years....and nobody has hunted these deer and no agency and stepped in to control them (as far as I know..and I've inquired multiple times over the years) so I can only deduct that they have been on their own with only natural selection (whatever that may be) to control the numbers...

So what's my shooting 3-5 extra does a year in my smaller tract of land actually accomplishing? Besides me having fun doing it.

This is why I started this thread, great info here folks, keep it coming.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Don't disagree and they say that under certain circumstances that the ratio can get out of whack but those circumstances are rather extreme. Not to say that the extreme circumstances didn't exist where you hunted in parts of Wis. But, barring those extreme circumstances the ratios can't really get out of whack.
Those instances are not rare, they are extreme and do get that out of whack. I can only say this for Wis. I've hunted several areas where the ratio isfrom 1 buck/8-10 does to 1 buck /15+ does.

Then I hop across the border to Ill and hunt spots as good as 1/3.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

The last five years in NY I have seen bigger bodied and racked bucks then I did the previous 15 years.This is with some hunters complaining about deer numbers.

Maybe I'm hunting different, but it appears some thing is going on.

That's why I'm totally against mandatory antler anything.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I wasn't clear.......... It may not be bad for young bucks to breed. What I meant to say was ALL bucks will breed, even the inferior ones. The closer you get to a 1/1 ratio, the strongest, most fit and desirable bucks will do most of the breeding. The doe, when given the chance will try to hold out for a super specimen to breed with rather than take Pee Wee Herman because he's all she's got! Sort of like people.[:-]
Last night on Quality Whitetails TV (QDMA) they said that that was what they originally thought but after research that included DNA testing they found that it wasn't true. Even in a herd with a good ratio all the bucks get in on the breeding, more or less equally. They even said that the majority twins and triplets that the does were carrying didn't even have the same sire.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Atlas where buck harvest is low TDM is fine.

When 70% bucks are getting wacked are 1.5 it's a issue.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

The last five years in NY I have seen bigger bodied and racked bucks then I did the previous 15 years.This is with some hunters complaining about deer numbers.

Maybe I'm hunting different, but it appears some thing is going on.

That's why I'm totally against mandatory antler anything.
Say it ain't so Charlie
Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Don't disagree and they say that under certain circumstances that the ratio can get out of whack but those circumstances are rather extreme. Not to say that the extreme circumstances didn't exist where you hunted in parts of Wis. But, barring those extreme circumstances the ratios can't really get out of whack.
Those instances are not rare, they are extreme and do get that out of whack. I can only say this for Wis. I've hunted several areas where the ratio isfrom 1 buck/8-10 does to 1 buck /15+ does.

Then I hop across the border to Ill and hunt spots as good as 1/3.
I am just going on what I am reading and they say that it is rare.

Quick Reply: Managing Herds......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.