Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here's a camo comparison for you!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Here's a camo comparison for you!

We hear all this talk about open patterns being the best, etc.... And I agree with that and wear predator exclusively......However, I was browsing through some old hunting pics last night and got a chuckle out of the below pic.....This was taken about 15 years ago and I ended up killing a doe that afternoon under that big oak.....Wow, memories.......

The old Mossy Oak Bottomland was some good stuff in the right setup!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Here's a camo comparison for you!

I still own some of that stuff. Rarely do I wear it, but I break it out every once and a while.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM

LOL.....you know, I still say the ORIGINAL Realtree pattern was one of the best......
Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I must be the odd man out here. I have used many different brands/patterns, and often mix and match patterns based on the weather and usually buy my gear based on the type of clothing I need rather than picking a specific pattern. In ten years of serious bowhunting,I don't think I've ever been spotted in the tree due to sight alone. Now I've been winded plenty of times, but I've never had a deer look up at me for no reason. I personally feel as long as you are as scent-free as possible, most patterns will get the job done just fineas long as you don't stick out like a turd in a punchbowl.
FWIW, I do try to pick stand sites in big old trees with mutiple branches to break up my outline, and have never used a climber in a straight trunk tree with no branches, so in those parts of the country, the pattern choice may be a bit more of an issue.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The camo in the pic looks great because you are standing directly in front of the tree trunk.

If the picture was taken from an angle, so that your sillouette was showing against the branches and sky, you would Blob out. That's where an open pattern excels, IMO.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

The camo in the pic looks great because you are standing directly in front of the tree trunk.

If the picture was taken from an angle, so that your sillouette was showing against the branches and sky, you would Blob out. That's where an open pattern excels, IMO.

i agree...but you cant have the best of both worlds. Bark patterns excel if your positioned with the tree behind you, open patterns excel with the sky as a background.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Yep.... That's a 10ft ladder stand and I killed a mature doe at 10yds that afternoon.... The camo worked and so did the game tracker I had attached to the arrow Followed the double line right to her
Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I came into thehunting world about 31 years ago wearing tiger stripe camo. Wish I had some comparison pics but I don't[:-].
Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

For the most part I wear realtree, mossy oak, etc and they do the job as long as I do my job and avoid movement until the time is right. I don't think that outfit GREGH wears comes in an open pattern "yet" and he does fairly wellBut I really like the pics of the open patterns you guys post on here.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pic DC! I have some of that too! Heck I have so much camo, I might never buy any more. Double line right to her....LMAO! [8D]

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

In ten years of serious bowhunting,I don't think I've ever been spotted in the tree due to sight alone. Now I've been winded plenty of times, but I've never had a deer look up at me for no reason.
It must be the hunting pressure in different areas, and how it has bred into the deer. 20 yrs ago, I never saw deer look up. The experts wrote articles claiming they DON'T look up. LOL. Fast forward 20yrs....and the deer in many of the places I hunt, walk around looking up. I got pegged this year on opening day, 22ft up, in a stand I hadn't been in since last year. I didn't move a tad, had green leaves all around me and wasn't sillouetted, and had the wind in myfavor.Lead doelookedup and allaround, and stopped on me.I was totally amazed. I don't know if thecamo would have made any difference at all, I doubt it.I had a tree with leaves all over it between us and she still nailed me.5 minutes of stomping and circling me, but didn't really spook. It was classic...I couldn't believe she nailed me.

Quick Reply: Here's a camo comparison for you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.