Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the deal with the angle range finders?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the deal with the angle range finders?

ORIGINAL: Wiaxle

Ok, this is the way that I see it, what am I seeing wrong? I see that if the deer is 70.7 yards away (LOS) at a 45 degree angle, the range finder would tell you (approx) the deer would be a horizontal distance of 50 yards.

If you aim at that deer at 50 yards (using an bow for this example) I see that arrow falling short if you are shooting at something (or at least very low) at 70+ yards away.

I am sure I am missing something simple in this, cause I just aint quite getting it [>:]
You're doing good math, just remember that gravity only has an effect on horizontal distance. If you shot an arrow straight up at a 90 degree angle to the earth there would be no drop at all, straight up is straight up no matter how far up the target is. Now that I've totally confused you, in your picture depicting the 70.7 yard shot at a 45 degree angle you would use your 50 yard pin to hit your target, butttttt. Your arrow is still travelling 70.7 yards through the air, your group will still spread as if you're 70.7 yards away. If you wouldn't take a 70 yard shot on level ground then you shouldn't take a 70 yard shot uphill, the only difference is that you're using the 50 yard pin instead of a 70 yard pin.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Just seems so counterintuitive to what I am familiar with.

The above was an example of some ranges that would make the numbers a little more extreme than what I would normally do (my max range is 30 yards, and that is just in my back yard, hunting is probably closer to 20yds)

I would continue this but the boy is telling me it is time to play 'trucks'

thanks for the input folks, much appreciated, will have to try this out for real somewhere sometime, still makes my head kinda hurt.......
Old 01-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

I own a Leupold RX-II and a Bushnell Sport. Both work great in most cases. The RX-II is awesome. You have to calibrate it to your bow speed. There are 3 different fps ranges to choose from. Then as you range the target it tells you the angle, los and the yardage you should shoot as. For most shots the los and the shot yardage are roughly the same. I have a few stands overlooking creek bottoms where there is a big difference. Also my rangefinder is set on the highest fps range. The differences in los and shot yardage may be more at the other fps ranges. For example the one stand has a 50 yard shot to the creek. But being on the hill, looking into the creek bottom it actually tells your to shoot as if it was 41 yards. At that point I feel it is a great product.