Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

I worry more about walking in the woods in the dark and getting shot by another hunter ---thats why I carry a light.
A few years back I hunted a place that I had to cut across a pasture in the dark . I hated crossing it in the dark because of a big bull that had a nasty side too him.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Yes, I hunt Randolph County, but only the public stuff. I, unfortunately don't have private land. Right now it usually seems like I'm out there all by myself.

I've hunted around Washington County Lake for squirrels, but never deer.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I can honestly say in the last 14 years of bowhunting I have never used a flash light to get to or from the woods. Turn your lights off whimps you won't notice the creepy eyes staring back at you.
I was a man's man walking to and from my stand without a light until Igot out of my blind after it got dark and took 1 step and heard a nice buzz of a rattlesnake about 2 feet in front of me. Turned my light on and walked another 10 feet and there was another rattlesnake and this one didn't rattle at all. I kicked dirt on it and it slithered off but never rattled. I now usea headlamp walking to and from mystand in the dark.

I also am afraid of bulls. To have a 2,000+ lb stupid animal looking at you from 20 yards away pawing dirt into the air and bellowing at you with nothing in between you but open ground isn't a good feeling.

I just purchased my first hand gun in .22 caliber for the snakes. I don't bow hunt but shooting a rattlesnake with a deer rifle from 5 feet away isn't a very smart choice. Actually the only thing I've ever killed with a bow is a rattlesnake!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 PM

A ways back, maybe 15 years or so, I recall a news story here in Ohio about a pyschopath who was hunting hunters. Can't remember how many guys he shot/killed, but man, that's down right scary. Now I personally don't carry a piece on me when I'm in the woods, but for the guys that do. . . I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I've never packed, in Illinois its against the law to carry while bowhunting. It takes a while to get used to it in the dark, but I've never felt anything close to needing to carry a sidearm while bowhunting here.

The coolest thing I've had happen to me was hunting the Flat Tops in Colorado. Met a black bear at 25 yds. and after initally taking one step slowly back, I took off my backpack and reached for the camera........he took off after spotting me. Later I thought to myself there is no way in hell I coulda outran that bear, and doubt I could have gotten a shot off with my bow. Bears can flat out move! But it was fun!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:45 AM

I don't know how you guys walk into the woods at night in bear county....it's taking me a while to get used to walking in the woods where there are no predators....I can't imagine having to worry about bears. Even if you were packing most bear attacks happen so fast people don't even get shots off.

Anyway...thanks again for you all making me feel a little better with your stories...I'm off to conquer the big bad woods of Illinois...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

The onlyanimals in the woods of IL that I fear are other humans.

I catch 'possums by hand, been bit and scratched by angry raccoons, (even killed a charging raccoon with a maglight), been within an inch of being bitten by a wild boar, hunted around rutting moose and bear filled woods, been followed by coyotes.. blah, blah, blah.. But the only times I've actually been'scared' in the outdoors is when I've run into some very freaky people. []
Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM

If I am going to be walking by the property lines, I will put on a headlamp with a red LED on it, mostly so the neighborscan see you coming through the woods but, (if they were actually in the woods before I get there, doubtful ) it doens't mess up my nightvision that bad.

The only downside to that light, is any critters that you stumble across (mostly coons/possums/and the like) those red glowing eyes will throw you for a loop the first time you see them, just like any demon eyes you might see in a movie.....
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM

I fear the eyes attatched to the black and white stripes of a skunk. My luck I will pee one off and get a special dose of cover scent.

I plan on getting a concealed carry permit for Ohio which will allow me to pack the 40 S&W in the upcoming bow season.