Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

4 million years of evolution and we still have this fear that takes a hold of us when we're in the woods, in the dark.....our ancestors did a pretty good job scaring their kids and telling them not to go in the woods at night.....back then we weren't top of the foodchain and that should have given us a great deal of respect for mother nature.....

I find it kind of a rush walking around at night in the dense forests, after a while you sort of become part of your surroundings ( we don't have any big predators left, they shot the last wolf around 1880 and bears, well they only live in gay clubs nowadays, I think )

F.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Ga's law is that you cant have a firearm during archery season. I hunt most of the archery season within sight of the Savannah River. Its about a 1/4 mile from where I park to the stand. Its thick and very creepy, and I have walked up on deer, coyotes, and armadillos in the dark. One of my handguns is always in my hand till I get there. Everything I have seen so far has gone the other way and I havent shot at anything yet. But I agree with GMMatt, a dead man with a man card is still a dead man. I would rather be safe (at least in MY mind).
Old 01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

good thing you high-tailed it, most likely a black panther.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me it's an adrenaline rush. I hunt in a remote area in the northern LP of MI where there are bears and coyotes. I nearly stepped on a porcupine once in the dark - that scared me.

The scary part is that humans just can't see in the dark. And the critters CAN. That's the part I don't like.

I walked up on a big coon once, and I just stood still until he left. Then I continued on. That's my strategy on most in the dark animal encounters. Just stand still and wait. Most of the time they are more afraid of you than vice versa.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can honestly say in the last 14 years of bowhunting I have never used a flash light to get to or from the woods. Turn your lights off whimps you won't notice the creepy eyes staring back at you.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

my imagination runs wild when im walking in the dark...i didnt take a light with me either when i first started hunting and that scared the hell out of me..now i take this gerber flashlight thats small and has a green, red, or white light but its not the brightest thing in the world thats for sure.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I walked to my stand in another state......with a loaded Kimber .45 in one hand and my bow in the other.

This WAS in a state in which animals live that can attack and kill humans.

I'm as ethical and law-abiding as the next hunter.....but I will NOT let a line on a piece of paper determine whether or not I walk safely and without fear.....to my stand.

If I was afraid of what's in the woods.....I'd go in packin'. Period. Bring on the ethics police.
Me too!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I KNOW THE FEELING...... i was 15 yards on the ground face to face with a balck bear this year at 6:30 am.. flashlight in mouth an release on string. thinkin he takes one more step im drawin.....im now lookin for a pistol.... agaisnt the law or not. when i find a pistol im carrying it..... dont like it. u walk with me.lol
Old 01-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had to turn and run once. I was walking in without a light but there was plenty of moonlight. I came around a bush and saw a darkobject with two whitestripes on the ground about 5 yards out. No eyes, just those white stripes and I got outta Dodge fast. Waited for full daylight before venturing back past that spot[&:]
Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from IL and I was never really scared until I was charged by a black bear, (not in IL of course) up in Canada.. I was in the dark and even then I was Billy Bad A$$... Me, a headlamp and a bow in the dark waiting for a truck to come get me and a bait bucket in my hand.. lol After being charged I realized that sometimes its the fear in the animal that will make them come at ya.. I'm still not too bad in IL but if there are bears I have a whole new respect..
I usually walk a little faster when I here a pack of coyotes though, not sure that they would ever do anything but when you can hear a pack of them at 20yds howling it will make yer hole pucker to say the least.. For me anyway.

Now I'll be honest here and I will say that I hate cows.. I hunt a cattle farm and I can't count the number of times that I was on my way to stand in the dark and came upon the cows.. They will surround you and they will charge at ya.. I have been chased across fields and back into the woods by the bulls that are out there, I can't stand that one bull.. I know he knows who I am.. LOL

Quick Reply: Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.