Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does taking a P&Y equal hunter ability?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does taking a P&Y equal hunter ability?

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Seriously, some people hunt where they might see 1 P&Y a year (or zero) and some hunt where they might see one every couple of sits. Let's not forget about reality. To kill a big buck you have to be where a big buck is. If you hunt where there are 20 big bucks, then killing one is not that difficult.

Look at the difference between GMMAT and I (am using your name GMMAT b/c I know you will understand what I am saying). He killed a 4.5 year old bruiser this past season that wasn't even close to P&Y and I killed a 2.5 year old that easily makes the book. Am I a better hunter than him b/c of that? No sir. If anything, I would say he was more successful than I.
Exactly...
If I could hunt in some of these great spots w/ the intensity I hunt around here, I'm sure I'd kill some great bucks... Not saying I'd be any better than anyone else that hunts there... Conversely, if you all had to hunt up this way w/ the same intensity you hunt your own big buck area, you'd see why we are pleased w/ the smaller bucks we take.

I hope to get out to the midwest sometime over the next few years again.
It's tough w/ only a week though.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 AM

Been bowhunting for 20 yrs, never killed a P&Y buck, came close but no cigar. Killed a couple over 125 with the gun, several in the 90-110 with the bow, one maybe 122-124 .Im a good hunter, not the best for sure, but for me, I won't say Im accoplished as a bowhunter until I kill more than one P&Y buck. Im kinda hard on myself, with the bucks Ive got running around my woods, I should have already done it. No excuses, I just don't think I have reached the status yet or have the knowledge to close the deal. I have seen only one deer that I know for sure would score P&Y while bowhunting. All other sightings have been from the truck or without a bow.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 AM

I don't think the size of the bucks makes much difference. Though I will say that guys like GregH andbuckeye, andseveral others, that go out and shoot these rascals on a consistent basis are better than average. The guys that go out and work hard at it year through, WKPTodd comes to mind, have an intimate understanding of deer bahavior, and I think that definetly makes them better hunters. Does location play into that equation? Well, let me answer that by saying this.

I've hunted hard and smart for the last 3 years. This year, I find a new piece of property that actually holds big bucks......3rd morning in I have one on the ground. Yes, location makes the difference.

I'm sorry, but the "tv" guys that do 95% of their hunting on guided ranches, I don't care how experienced or novice you are. If you can hit the thing, you're going to kill one. Or at least have the opportunity to. Shoot, even I could kill a giant routinely if I had a guy telling me exactly where to sit, and what specific deer to look for at such and such time of day. I've often wondered, how "successful" would some of those guys be if they had to do their own scouting and find their own lands to hunt. Guys like WKTTodd and his crew. THAT'S what I call hunting. These guys are out all year round, putting in the time. RESPECT. Ok, I'm done w/ my back patting now.......

Carry on.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been bowhunting for 3 years, I have shot 2 125" bucks. I live in Iowa, but it is not very productive when it comes to big bucks. I am not as skilled as most. I beleive most of the time its just luck!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

andseveral others, that go out and shoot these rascals on a consistent basis are better than average.
Hey Mobow....

You and I have discussed this before....and the statement above is never in question in my eyes.....and really has no bearing on my assertion RE: "location". The hunter's abilities and dedication aren't ever a consideration.

My assertion all along has been.....is it more likely that "ANY" hunter will kill big bucks....if he lives where there's more of them?

I think your statements answer that question, also. Why we have to bring in hunter's abilities and their dedication is beyond me (and I KNOW your thoughts on this....and heck...we agree)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I may jump back in here.

If you are going to bring one variable into the discussion, you have to bring them all. IMO.

You can’t make the blanket statement that hunter X kills P&Y because he lives (or hunts) in such and such location. You have to consider every variable such as time afield, both in scouting & on stand, woodsmanship skill, work ethic, including everything from making time to hunt, to FINDING good areas to hunt.

And one last thing, where do you draw the line on location? You guys beat this to death, but at some point it’s a matter of feet between getting a deer and not. Is it state? County? Individual farm level? Exact tree? Does finding a good hunting spot go into part of being a good hunter?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

You can’t make the blanket statement that hunter X kills P&Y because he lives (or hunts) in such and such location.
I've never made that statement, personally. I've only said that he has a greater % of a chance to take one of these deer.....if he hunts where more of them exist.

You have to consider every variable such as time afield, both in scouting & on stand, woodsmanship skill, work ethic, including everything from making time to hunt, to FINDING good areas to hunt.
Of course. it's part of the equation....just not THE most important part (IMO).

Does finding a good hunting spot go into part of being a good hunter?
Of course it does. It's a part of the equation just like so many other things.

MY assertion has simply always been (and I've heard others quote this, too).....that you can't kill what isn't there. Or....you have a better chance of killing "X" sized deer.....if more of those "X" sized deer roam the grounds you hunt. It's simply a numbers thing. Let's call a spade a spade.

You might find the most productive woods your area has to offer.....but if all it's going to produce is a 110" deer.....well....you know. As AE said.....you can't make a P&Y out of a spiker.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good point Rybo, some think they have to move across the country to find good Bucks, when in reality they may just have to move a few miles away or even a county or 2 over, state land, or find private land. It all depends on how bad you want it! Yes I believe finding a good hunting spot and putting that spot to use makes one a "better" hunter, another link in the chain so to speak! The big bucks are out there, YOU have to find them, they are not going to come find you!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM

I don't think taking a P&Y or B&C are in anyway a true measure of a hunters ability. There are so many variables that come into play, location, pressure, knowledge of the hunting area and surrounding areas, genetics of the herd, etc. The guys that pay attention to detail, are patient, know their hunting area like the back of their hand, and understand deer patterns and can deliver at the moment of truth demonstrate good or great hunter ability. I think luck plays a role as well, but I define luck as opportunity meeting preparation. Those that are prepared are going to have luck more often than not.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Iwould think thatbeing a good hunter is regardless of location. I think that if the hunter is able to achieve his goals as a hunter on a consistent basis in his home state, then he, in fact, is a good hunter, whether it be to harvest 3 does or harvesting a mature buck, be it a 130" or a 170". Although, it becomes more and more obvious that hunters would not agree with me, as they pour across state lines every year in groves, in hopes of becoming a "better hunter" by taking a monster buck from the midwest.

I agree with rybo, that it is more about what the hunter puts into his hunts and his hunting area.....the scouting, food plotting, strategic stand locations, and so on.

Quick Reply: Does taking a P&Y equal hunter ability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.