Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Insult to... well, insult. (long)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Insult to... well, insult. (long)

I havepermission to hunt this guy's backyard, about100 acres total. In WI there are "earn a buck" deer management units where you have to shoot an antlerless before you are issued a buck tag. This spot happens to be one of them. Anyway, last weekend I was out trying to get a doe. And I got one, but not before a beautiful 130"er walks by and all I could do was watch... INSULT! [:@]

It gets better- yesterday, I was out there again hoping to see that buck again but only expecting to see does if even that. Near the end of legal light I spot some movement about 70yds away and at first all I saw was legs, long long longlegs. Then I saw the hugest deer body I'd ever seen in my 17+ years of hunting. This includes all the deer I've ever seen in the back of anybody's pick-up truck too. Then finally, I saw its massive rack!!! I'mnoscoring pro but I have a pretty good ideaabout how much a buck scores when I see it. Put it this way, the onlybucks I've seen that big were at Cabela's and Bass Pro. He looked to be about 180" with a 2 foot spread.I about pissed my pants it was ridiculous. Top it off, I'm on the ground so the deer looked even more towering.

He comes in closer and closer zig zagging from the 3 o'clock position. When he walks behind a thick patch of trees 35yds from meI slowly draw. All I needed now was for him to walk another 5ft to get out from behind that patch of trees. This is where it all started to go downhill. I don't know if he knew something was up but he stopped there for a whole minute which seemed forever. When all of a sudden he decides to turn and walk straight towards me. In my head I was screaming NOOOOOOOO!!! Well, now he was at 25yds and looking dead at me. I'm dressed in all white to blend in with the snow and I'm behinda fairly thick patch of saplings. This helped a bit but there's no fooling the big dog.

He stared dead at me with my bow drawn and pointed at him. This was when I realized my bow was shaking. LOL LOL LOL, well not at the time though. I thought about putting the arrow right through his grunt tube but thought twice because I wasn't that confident in myself not to mention I was shaking and about to go into convulsions. LOL... so what can a guy do at this point but hope he turns right? Well, he did turn but it was to run.

THE END!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Insult to... well, insult. (long)

what a way to end huh? Next year...he will be BIGGER.

and thank you from the rest of the hunting community for the ethical choice
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Holy you know what Hoytail! I bet you were shaking like you said! I was just by reading it! You did the right thing though in all honesty and didn't take the frontal shot! Hats off to ya! I can guarantee allot of people would of took that shot, some may of drilled it perfect, more would of wounded it with everything that was going on with you at the time. When it comes right down to it with the nerves and the shaking and the questionable shot all involved at once, you did everything right! I bet that was one of the hardest things for you not to do! I'm thinking it would of been for me also! 180" class buck, wow! Thats a treat alone just to see one. Congrats on seeing one!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM

Great story. Sucks it didn`t end different, but what an experience not many peopyle can say they`ve seen one that big, especially at eye level. Maybe next year. I think you made the right choice on the frontal shot for what it is worth.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Its a hell of a rush when your hunting from the ground isnt it? Thats where i shot my first deer, a doe. She was 5 yards away at times and then i shot her at 17. I was shaking un controlably just by a few does, i cant imagine what you were going through!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

I feel your pain...at this point all you can do is be thankful you saw a buck of that caliber. There'salways another day.[&o]
Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting on the ground is absolutely by far without a doubt a bigger rush than being 20ft up. When I took my 10pt earlier this year from the tree, I didn't even feel the excitement til after I hit the release and he took off running. The bad boy encounter yesterday was 10 times the rush, omg!!! -and I didn't even get him! Tell you the truth, I didn't regainfull composure til I was half way home.

Also, I know that being caught up in the moment your senses aren't always telling the truth but this buck looked like a small horse standing threre in front of me. He was significantly bigger than the 10pt I mentioned andthat buckwas 240lb live weight already.

2 things I hope: first that I'll see him again next year, second that if I do it'll be the year he peaks. And this time around, I'll be in the stand to help calm the nerves and will be wearing some depends just in case.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same thing happen to me on a hunt in Il. Biggest buck I ever seen walked straight to me I was on the ground too. Stoped at 15yards looking straight at me. I to let down, bad shoot in my book. He turned and ran into the next county. He was 150plus . I did however shoot a 120" 10point 2 hours later. Good story and you did the right thing not to take that risky shot! You did the bow fourm proud

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Wow..That sounded like you had a great hunt! I think you made the right choice,just the straight on shot let alone an alert Buck....to risky for me, congrats on not taking the chance. Hopefully you can dial him in next time. Goodluck!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

next year he'll properly get whacked sooner lol congrats i guest
ORIGINAL: JoeRE

what a way to end huh? Next year...he will be BIGGER.

and thank you from the rest of the hunting community for the ethical choice

Quick Reply: Insult to... well, insult. (long)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.