Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbies last season questions

Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Newbies last season questions

Still searching for my first deer in my first season.....and with the season winding down thought I'd ask a few questions::

Earlier in the season I'd been seeing more deer...but the last three times out, I've seen nothing.I gotaggressive the last day I hunted by setting up shop within 75 yards of the bedding area in the morning....and within 25 yards of the field (full of winter wheat) that night. I still didn't see anything. Tips appreciated...but I also am curious as to how many times you guys actually go afield and don't see a dang dang thing. A little frustrated..but it's got me more motivated to make a big push as we wind down these last two weeks.

Also..I was considering a thumb release because my cobra release will not fit around my thin glove....any releases that are bigger in terms of wrist diameter I could pick up, outside of a thumb release?

Final question...I'm learning fast proper layering is critical...and a couple days ago it was 15 degrees here in Illinois...I had my camo coat over my ski jacket...with two fleeces..under armor...and another sweater and thermal underwear....I was like a giant puff ball. Generally I do tend to give off a lot of heat...so the girlfriend tells me....which means it's gonna be harder for me to stay warm. Any tips on stay warm would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any tips and help in advance.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbies last season questions

the deer in IL are in their winter feeding patterns and have grouped up. therefore, if you arent hunting on the HOT food source, you may see very little to no deer activity. late season can be very difficult if you don't try to scout and find the food sources that the deer are readily using. The last week here in IL has been an great time to check the fields for tracks and digging in the snow.

i think i will hit the woods this week pretty hard with the snow coming off, they should feed heavily. good luck!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbies last season questions

Hunt the food, that is the way it is in the late season and especially the colder and nastier it is out. I and my family have been sitting over unpicked cornfields the last three weeks and we have had an awesome season with three big bucks down, but that was with the muzzle loader.