Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk Wisdom

Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Elk Wisdom

I went on my first ever Elk Hunt this year and came back scratching my head. For 9 days in SeptemberI pursued this animal in the beautiful Flat Tops, and caught barely a glimpse.ThePrimos guys make it look so easy. As an accomplished deer hunter I honestly thought that I was going to go to the mountains and tag out. Iknow as hunters we should be satisfied with"the hunt", but there is something painful about looking at a $500 tag, fully intact.Do I abandon my "do it yourself" mentality and go more into debt with a guideor role the dice again in a few years and pitch my own tent? Anyelk wisdom would be appreciated, and any elk pictures from your successful hunts may ease my pain and give me hope. . .
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk Wisdom

I tell you what, Elk hunting is one heck of a challenge! I've been at it for 8 years now and still no elk yet to show for it. I've had 6 or 7 close calls but nothing as of yet. I'm shooting recurve so that right there limits my yardage some but thats why we keep going back, its challenging! Elk hunting ranks up there as one of most favorite animals to bow hunt! Good luck and stick to it on your own if you can, I know I will! If not, there's some good guides out there I'm sure.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

I dont know because I havnt hunted them. But I wouldhave to say that it has to be l**** anything else. most of us are so attuned to Whitetail, that it is kindof our world. we kill deer consistantly, every year and lose sight of the fact that this is the hardest game animal in hte world to hunt. That being said, the elk is a completely different creature that has a different learning curve. But if you can successfully hunt whitetail deer, I am a firm believer that you can figure out anything.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you have to keep in mind is that you were only there for 9 days. Elk are my nemesis in the sense that I have been after them 6 or 7 times and I have only killed one. The last time I went to CO I had 13 legal bulls within range throughout the week and I never was able to loose one arrow. It certainly is not easy. The overall success rate with a bow in CO for elk is right around 12%-13% every year. There are so many things that make it tough. Think about what you are trying to do...sneak up on a herd of elk. That is no small feat.

Plus, if it was easy, would it really be enjoyable?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Getting a bull with a bow is far more difficult than most people realize. The Primose crew get to hunt prime areas that most of us will never have access to. Location is a very big part of being successful. Difficult terrain, limited numbers of elk, and pressure make for tough hunting on much of the public ground. By comparison whitetails in generalare easy, even the harvest stastics indicate this. That 11-13% archery success figure is for the harvest of both sexes I believe, the last time I saw one for whitetails in was about three times that.

I try to do a do-it-yourself hunt for elk on public ground every year. Many times I "eat" my tag, sometimes without even pulling the string back, even after exhaustive efforts. It isn't easy, If one gets an opportunity, it has been earned.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

That 11-13% archery success figure is for the harvest of both sexes I believe...
The numbers I saw were for any legal elk taken in CO with a bow for sure.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

you have to remember a WHOLE LOT MORE PEOPLE spend a WHOLE LOT MORE TIME hunting whitetails. Skews the numbers a bit. Throw in the archery factor and it gets even further out of wack.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Elk hunting by far is more challenging then hunting whitetails IMO! Instead of usually having 2 or 3 sets of eye's at most deer hunting you usually have 3 times that elk hunting. It depends where your hunting but if your in the mountains your wind goes every which way. Its been by far the most challenging animal I have ever hunted, but like any other animal, if you have some awesome land to hunt, it ups the odds allot!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up a whitetail hunter, funny thing, there aren't to many elk in NH!

I LOVE elk hunting, I'd give up whitetail hunting to chase elk if it were a realistic option.

I've been 3 times guided, shot 1 bull, this past year I didn't even see an elk (though my wife had a shot at a monster).

It's more like turkey hunting for us eastern guys. And in my opinion, its much harder and very different than deer. With elk hunting, especially calling and stalking, you are trying to get a shot at an animal that basically is looking for you cause you called em in. With whitetails you are sitting in a tree waiting quietly for them to come by, no clue you are there.

The primos guys etc, spend HOURS and DAYS and WEEKS without getting shots, its the 10 minutes of action in a 2 week hunt that you see on the video, plus they are on prime land usually not available to the public.

to get "better" at it, I would recommend working on calling. www.elknut.com has some very good to great dvds on calling elk. Not just making noise, but understanding what the elk are saying and what you need to say back. I really think a good turkey hunter has a better/easier chance than a good whitetail hunter. Like I told a friend, its like turkey hunting, except the turkey weighs 800 lbs.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure Will Promos and gang hunt public ground...at least, that's the claim they make in all their videos.

Elk hunting is by far a greater challenge than white-tailed deer. It demandsso much more phyiscal effort. When the body becomes sore, the mind becomes sore. It will keepsthe average guy from pushing through those tough times. The trick and secret to successful elk hunting... STAY POSITIVE!

You are already beginning to doubt yourself. Don't do that! Do your homework, get into the best physical shape possible, continue to ask the questions (many of us will help), maintain your confidence!Each and every hunt will take away from the learning curve. In no time you will be an expert! Elk are certainly killable, but you have got to want it...and bad!

PM me if you need a finger point.

Quick Reply: Elk Wisdom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.