Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the most unique thing you've ever found in the woods?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the most unique thing you've ever found in the woods?

I haven't found anything to exciting but my Grandpa and my neighbor did. About 40 some years ago they were trapping on a small lake (swamp) that borders the woods I hunt on. My Grandpa had waded out to a rat house in his waders (3 feet of water) and all of a sudden he started sinking (there's spots in this lake that have no bottom, springs I think.) Anyway my neighbor seen this and right away pulled the canoe out of the cat tails with a rope and started in the direction of my Grandpa. Just like that my Grandpa stopped sinking for some reason. My neighbor threw him the rope and pulled him in. While my Grandpa was getting pulled in he rapped his legs around the object that kept him from sinking. It turned out to be an elk rack, skull and all! There use to be elk in Minnesota years and years ago! That elk rack saved his life, pretty neat story I thought!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have found obsidian arrow heads......
Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I haven't found anything to exciting but my Grandpa and my neighbor did. About 40 some years ago they were trapping on a small lake (swamp) that borders the woods I hunt on. My Grandpa had waded out to a rat house in his waders (3 feet of water) and all of a sudden he started sinking (there's spots in this lake that have no bottom, springs I think.) Anyway my neighbor seen this and right away pulled the canoe out of the cat tails with a rope and started in the direction of my Grandpa. Just like that my Grandpa stopped sinking for some reason. My neighbor threw him the rope and pulled him in. While my Grandpa was getting pulled in he rapped his legs around the object that kept him from sinking. It turned out to be an elk rack, skull and all! There use to be elk in Minnesota years and years ago! That elk rack saved his life, pretty neat story I thought!
thats really awesome, but what is a rat house?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

we have found obsidian arrow heads......
those are worth a lot
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I found pieces of a b1 bomber that had crashed a few months earlier in the area.I had to go turn it in at a quard shack on the property that it crashed on.I ended up finding several pieces but 1 piece was farely large.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: childers

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

thats really awesome, but what is a rat house?
Muskrat house. There made by Muskrats, they look like a big rat! Its a big pile of sticks and cat tails piled up about 3 feet above the water. They live in these things.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know what they were i thought that you meant like an old farm shakc that was underwanter and yall didnt know it was there. or just some ruins that yall stepped on
Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: childers

i know what they were i thought that you meant like an old farm shakc that was underwanter and yall didnt know it was there. or just some ruins that yall stepped on
Sorry about that, misunderstood!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have never found anything cool, but i have always wondered when you are deep in th woods why is there always seem to be a pair of underwear or 1 shoe. How do you leave the woods with only one shoe?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

I have found a few old bottles, unfilled well, indian beads. I love looking for stuff in the woods. There is a reason for everything, and I enjoy looking for stuff and then coming up with my own reason! I enjoy shed hunting for this reason!

Quick Reply: What's the most unique thing you've ever found in the woods?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.