Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Loop Failure?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Loop Failure?

The other post about trying a loop got me thinking. I'm sure its been asked. I just started with a loop this spring and so far so good. I admit at first I thought of the loop failing during a shot.

I try not to think about it anymore. Have any of you guys had the loop fail? What happened to cause the failure?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Loop Failure?

I haven't yet, but after season I am due to put on a new loop. I use material thats better than what my shop put on mine originally and tie my own on. I trust myself.........maybe thats not a good thing[8D].

If you see any fraying, replace it! If the burn end balls are not big enough and burnt right to begin with....do it again until its right. IMO, a release that has an unseen nick or a sharp edge is a culprit along with an improperly tied loop. I've only heard a couple of stories and have never witnessed anyone breaking one while shooting or pulling a loop back.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

no i have never had one fail but have accidently hit the trigger while pulling back . you end up punching yourself, not fun [8D]
Old 12-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one break one time in peak pundage with no arrow, not fun. but it was due to a bad release chewing it up, never had one come untied, it helps to burn the edges also.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I have used a loop for several years without fail. I tied my own. Then the last 3 or 4 years I've had Len putting a new one on when I had work done or strings put on etc. This year(being far from Len) I put my own on. Well I was out of practice. Well I got it a little long. It worked, but it wasn't right. After a couple days I said this is stupid. I cut it off and put on another. GOt the knot a little close and didn't put a big enough melt on the end of the string and it pulled through the 3 shot. So after a fat lip I did it again. LOL The fat lip changed my anchor. LOL I now make sure I flare that bead melt enough. LOL
Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I have used a loop for several years without fail. I tied my own. Then the last 3 or 4 years I've had Len putting a new one on when I had work done or strings put on etc. This year(being far from Len) I put my own on. Well I was out of practice. Well I got it a little long. It worked, but it wasn't right. After a couple days I said this is stupid. I cut it off and put on another. GOt the knot a little close and didn't put a big enough melt on the end of the string and it pulled through the 3 shot. So after a fat lip I did it again. LOL The fat lip changed my anchor. LOL I now make sure I flare that bead melt enough. LOL
You gave yourself a Fat Lip, I'm sure theres plenty of guys on here that would of done that for ya!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

I had one break one time in peak pundage with no arrow, not fun. but it was due to a bad release chewing it up, never had one come untied, it helps to burn the edges also.
The exact reason i never draw my bow without an arrow, id rather have one go through the wall than dry fire my bow.