Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Crime - Punishable to the fullest extent of the law
81.71%
Lesser Offense
18.29%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

I don't understand the needto ressurect this topic again.Hasn't the snot been beaten out of it already? We all know what constitutes poaching.I guess I am a poacher because I have sunk into the soft earth while walking,which is a definition of poaching apparently.
I respect and adhere to the game laws.I have turned poachers in on several occaisions for what I viewed as a violation that was significant.
If I turned in everyone I knew or was acquainted with for using someone else's tag or walking across private property without permission to access state land or shooting after sunset.(Thats actually a good one,if you hear a shot after sunset on your way out of the woods because of course you leave the woods at sunset,even though you can clearly see for another half hour do you go call the game warden,if so why not?)In this age of communication technology if someone flies by you on a highway exceeding the speed limit by 20 plus miles per hour,do you get their plate number and call the police? If not how is that any different than not turning in a violation of the game laws?
There has to be some sensibility and/or discretion tied to these things.I gaurantee some of the holier than though types are not living there life on the straight and narrow in other perhaps more meaningful area's.I know a number of people who are regular church goers who are having affairs.
Some of you folks need to loosen the halo's.I have never witnessed this much perfection in one place!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be having a chat with that Wardens supervisor.Your friend should have been given a warning or the warden should have gone to the landowners home to verify your friends permission.
It is stupidity like that that angers a lawful person into becoming unlawful.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. Poaching is a crime in my book and in the DNRs book, wether its knowingly done, or done by ignorance of the law.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 AM

This sounds kind of odd. Unless the landowner is willing to press charges, there is no crime here. I wonder if it isn't one of those deals where the landowner called the Game Warden in the first place, and didn't want a confrontation with the unwelcome hunter who, at one time in the past, did have permission.

There is parcel of propertywhere one of my best buddies has an exclusive on the hunting rights. Only problem is that, in years past, various locals have had access - verbal permission. It is a royal pain keeping them out now. And the landowner doesn't really want to stir up any bad relations with the neighbors - so there is no such thing as calling the sheriff or game warden.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless the landowner is willing to press charges, there is no crime here.
Depends on the state if there's a crime or not. Like I've already posted, hunting on private property without permission is a felony here. It's up to the district attorney whether or not charges are filed, not the landowner.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM

If a man shoots a deer to feed his family, you won't find me turning him in. The animals were put here for our benefit, its only recently that we've decided to regulate how many and what kind can be taken. While it may be better for the ecosystem for there to be regulations, I have no problem with a man taking a game animal to feed his family.

That does not mean I condone theft in order to feed one's family.

"But Dan, shooting an illegal deer is stealing!"

Grey area. God put the animals on this earth for us to use as we see fit. If it means someone shoots one out of "season" because his freezer needs filling, so be it.

I do not however agree with killing an animal out of season for the pure trophy aspect of the kill. Shoot a doe if you need the meat.

I know a lot of you won't agree with me and I could honestly care less.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

This sounds kind of odd. Unless the landowner is willing to press charges, there is no crime here.
Out of the GW's own mouth that unless the land owner calls, we aren't coming out.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Bartender

Crime and punishment not for me to decide. End!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Unless the landowner is willing to press charges, there is no crime here.
Depends on the state if there's a crime or not. Like I've already posted, hunting on private property without permission is a felony here. It's up to the district attorney whether or not charges are filed, not the landowner.
You've got to be kidding!If charges would be filed the DA would first ask the landowner if the person in question had permission. If he did then there is no crime. The DA is not going to press charges for trespassing if the landowner says you had permission. At that point it's no longer trespassing.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

If a man shoots a deer to feed his family, you won't find me turning him in. The animals were put here for our benefit, its only recently that we've decided to regulate how many and what kind can be taken. While it may be better for the ecosystem for there to be regulations, I have no problem with a man taking a game animal to feed his family.

That does not mean I condone theft in order to feed one's family.

"But Dan, shooting an illegal deer is stealing!"

Grey area. God put the animals on this earth for us to use as we see fit. If it means someone shoots one out of "season" because his freezer needs filling, so be it.

I do not however agree with killing an animal out of season for the pure trophy aspect of the kill. Shoot a doe if you need the meat.

I know a lot of you won't agree with me and I could honestly care less.
You got to be kidding,just because a person Freezer is empty it is ok to steal from Legal Hunters.Seems like last time I was up your way after Hunting Season there was plenty of Fish.

But its been awhile maybe all the Poachers caught them all.

big rockpile

Quick Reply: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.