Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Crime - Punishable to the fullest extent of the law
81.71%
Lesser Offense
18.29%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Heres a recent example that happened in my area just this past week. 3 guys from Tennessee were caught during our muzzleloader season with 7 deer that were taken with a high powered rifle. The one guy shot 5 deer in less than 30 minutes and the other 2 were shot by the 2 other guys. Now thats poaching...
Glad they got caught!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Why doesn't someone ask the local DNR officer in your area what their defination of poaching is? Ask them why "poaching" is illegal. Ask them for some examples of what happens to the poachers when caught. A good magazine to read for some examples of what the DNR officers have to go though to catch and convict a poacher is Pennsylvania Game News. They have stories from the PA Game Wardens. I have been read this magazine for years. But I still say ask your local DNR officer what poaching is.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some examples:

Most common deer-poaching violations (in Texas)

The number of citations issued for deer poaching have declined with the advent of stiffer penalties for the crime. These are the numbers of the most common major violations between Sept. 1, 2006, through May 31, 2007.

Killing deer without landowner's consent (state jail felony): 36
Killing deer at night (Class A misdemeanor): 73
Killing deer from a vehicle (Class A misdemeanor — not on private property): 58
Exceeding deer annual bag limit (Class C misdemeanor): 51
Killing deer by illegal means and methods (Class C misdemeanor): 47
Killing deer on a public road (Class A misdemeanor): 60
Killing illegal buck, one with less than 13-inch inside spread, in special buck deer county (Class C misdemeanor): 110
As reported by Mike Legget in the Austin, TX American-Statesman newspaper.

Killing a deer on a public road - that means shooting it, not hitting it with your truck. Felt I had to explain that to get past the psuedo lawyers and nitpickers around here.

Along with being a state jail felony, killing a deer without the landowners' permission will cost you your hunting license for the next five years, possible forfieture of the weapon and vehicle used in committing the crime and, sincea convictedfelon cannot own guns, you loseall the guns you might own as well.Plus, the landowner can bring civil charges against you to make you pay for the deer you killed, and kill fees can run quite a few thousands of dollars in this state.

Before they made killing a deer without permission a felony, they say they were making 500 cases a year. Since making it a felony, it's dropped to less than 50.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I turn them in no matter what.Turned guy in for shooting a Bobcat out of Season,another one for taking Frogs out of season,and another for keeping a Bass out of season.The there is Deer.

Its all Poaching!!![:@]
Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Spike

Poaching is a serious crime and people do need to get punished to full extent. Here in Cali a lot of people already give you attitude for hunting, people don't see that its game management.

There are plenty of times where I am pig hunting and I come across a beautiful buck, but I dont take the shot. And someone who does shouldnt be in the forest at all.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM

According to the game rules, yes, poaching is a crime, but around here I am starting to think that just don't seem too true. A few years ago my sister and her boyfriend were comming home from a friends house. As they were driving they noticed a guy skinning a large 10 point. He had it hanging off his childrens swingset right in front of his trailor (yea, real winner). This was roughly a month before archery season opened. My sisters boyfriend stopped, got out of his truck and walked up to the guy and asked him what was up with the deer. The guy said it was hit by a car but he could see a bullet hole straight through the deer. Well, they came back to my house and decided to call the PGC, they were instructed by the PGC to contact the state police and they would take care of it. We thought that was a little strange but we called the state police and they informed us that wasn't something that they could take care of and we would have to call the PGC. Tried calling back and didn't get an answer. Since then I have a sore spot for the PGC and its laws. This was an obvious poacher, we contacted the PGC and if they would have actually taken care of the problem they may have been able to prevent this from happening again but they chose not to. Kinda hard to have respect for them after that.

We wonder why there is so much poaching/tresspassing, well, its because of instances like the one I described above and the fact that the laws just aren't hard enough on these people.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:24 AM

How bout this as a hypothetical......

Out the 2nd weekend of gun season (ours runs 9 days), you have a tag for a buck but not one for an anterlerless deer.

A doe comes by with a blown off leg.

What do you do?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 AM

Shoot her, find some sticks and glue them to her head
Old 12-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wiaxle

How bout this as a hypothetical......

Out the 2nd weekend of gun season (ours runs 9 days), you have a tag for a buck but not one for an anterlerless deer.

A doe comes by with a blown off leg.

What do you do?
Let nature take its course - seen more then one 3 legged deer thriving in the woods - those that don't get utilized.

Steve
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Ok guy's.Last night a freind of mine was hunting on some land he had premission to hunt for years. When he got in the Game Warden was waiting for himat the truck. TheGW ask to see thewritten premission to hunt the land he was on. He did not have it in writing from the land owner (or family). The GW gave him a ticket $155. My freind ask the GW to go to the house and talk to the landowner. He would not go.

I have the up most respect for law officers and beleive they do to must for what the get paid. I also lost a good freind(who was a Game Warden) to poachers.

I see both sides to the story, There is a good and bad to very question and officers.

I will not vote on this one.

Quick Reply: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.