Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Crime - Punishable to the fullest extent of the law
81.71%
Lesser Offense
18.29%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Well I can afford to feed my family by going to the grocery store, but if I CHOOSE to kill deer, turkey, etc out of season and feed them to my family am I ok then??
No, no, you are confused. It has to be a need to be a justified poach. Like, if it is raining really hard and your family is hungry but doesn't want hotdogs and you need red meat and there is a big fat doe in your backyard. THEN poaching is OK.
bruce ..... did you forget your meds today?[8D]
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think originally this was about friends/aquaintances killing more deer than the limit for said area. Whether that defines poaching or not, it is breaking the law. Crime? I believe that is the word we are looking to define here. Can someone post that definition up? Correct me if I am wrong Jeff, but is this not what you are looking for?

If breaking the law is a crime, then bagging more than your limit or illegaly taking game is a crime. A crime is punishable by law. Do we want a poacher to be punished?

LT
Old 12-28-2007, 12:45 PM

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone feeding their family. But there are ways to legally harvest animals to feed the family. If they are landowners they can get free tags for everyone in their family. I think the problem is the scum that drives down the roads looking for big bucks and shoots them, cuts off their heads and leaves the rest to waste. Happens alot here. If you are poaching on someone elses property you are not only poaching but then you will be trespassing (breaking another law) to recover the animal. Poaching and trespassing laws need changed to be much more stringent then we must prosicute, prosicute, prosicute!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I can afford to feed my family by going to the grocery store, but if I CHOOSE to kill deer, turkey, etc out of season and feed them to my family am I ok then??
No, no, you are confused. It has to be a need to be a justified poach. Like, if it is raining really hard and your family is hungry but doesn't want hotdogs and you need red meat and there is a big fat doe in your backyard. THEN poaching is OK.
Thanks for the clarification.

So if we're hungry but too lazy to go to the store and there's a nice doe crossing the field??
Save's on gas too![8D]
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

LOL No, just had my fill of "serious" conversation on this subject so I thought I'd have a little fun.
Nontypical Buck

I think if you stick with primary definitions,the common factor is a tresspass which is pretty specific. Once you open the term up to include more and more violations its meaning becomes more and more vague. Utimately to the point where we are now, i.e. any game violation.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

If they are landowners they can get free tags for everyone in their family.
Not really relevant.....but that's not the way it works in NC. In NC....if you tag a deer....you damned well better have been the one that killed it.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

LOL No, just had my fill of "serious" conversation on this subject so I thought I'd have a little fun.
The funniest part is ..... some actually bit on it!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the clarification.

So if we're hungry but too lazy to go to the store and there's a nice doe crossing the field??
Save's on gas too![8D]
No, no, not lazy. Hell, ya gotta field dress the deer and then take it to the processor . You can't be lazy . Just if you need red meat and can't afford to buy it.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Someone PM'd me and mentioned "situation ethics".

OK.....OTHER THAN poaching to feed one's family....are there any other situations you might give a free pass to?

Quick Reply: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.