Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Crime - Punishable to the fullest extent of the law
81.71%
Lesser Offense
18.29%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do we REALLY view Poaching as a "crime"?

ORIGINAL: boldplate

Ok guy's.Last night a freind of mine was hunting on some land he had premission to hunt for years. When he got in the Game Warden was waiting for himat the truck. TheGW ask to see thewritten premission to hunt the land he was on. He did not have it in writing from the land owner (or family). The GW gave him a ticket $155. My freind ask the GW to go to the house and talk to the landowner. He would not go.

I have the up most respect for law officers and beleive they do to must for what the get paid. I also lost a good freind(who was a Game Warden) to poachers.

I see both sides to the story, There is a good and bad to very question and officers.

I will not vote on this one.
Inthe countyI live in in NC (Wake Co) anybody hunting on someone else's land MUST have written permission on their person to be able to hunt their land.When my GF took hunter safety in August I remember the warden specifically saying that if you deer hunt on someone's land youHAVE to have thepermission slipon you. Sorry he got a ticket but it's in the regs.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have not read all the replies but thereare poachers and there are game law breakers, i see it as two different categories. but some are both......there is speeding and there is Speeding.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Guy couple years ago shoot at Deer from the road,I took in after him.By the time I caught up with him the Agent had him in his Pickup writing him a Ticket.I told the other two with him what I thought.

Well I was talking with the Agent later.Seems the Agent didn't see him shooting at the Deer,but gave him a Ticket for driving with a Suspended License.Which the Agent said he would get in worse trouble.

big rockpile
Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 PM

You got to be kidding,just because a person Freezer is empty it is ok to steal from Legal Hunters.Seems like last time I was up your way after Hunting Season there was plenty of Fish.

But its been awhile maybe all the Poachers caught them all.

big rockpile
Yeah, I was kidding. I typed all of that out as a huge joke.

I don't know how much you eat or how big your family is, but a limit of fish [if caught] isn't going to feed an average family for more than a meal. Put a deer in a man's freezer and he'll eat for a month, which gives that family plenty of time to get back on their feet.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

i say a crime punishable to the fullest extent of the law

BUT......
I guess the real answer is that poaching is a lesser crime that punisable to the fullest extent of the law. Im it is lesser than murder right and there is a law that defines a punishment?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I don't know how much you eat or how big your family is, but a limit of fish [if caught] isn't going to feed an average family for more than a meal. Put a deer in a man's freezer and he'll eat for a month, which gives that family plenty of time to get back on their feet.

What would help that family get back on their feet is the guy getting a job to pay the bills and getting food from a food pantry instead of being in the woods poaching. If he's not in the woods poaching it gives him that much more time to make money like the rest of the us do! What would happen if the guy gets caught poaching, how would a big hefty fine help the family get on their feet, one needs to keep a sensible head!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

What would help that family get back on their feet is the guy getting a job to pay the bills and getting food from a food pantry instead of being in the woods poaching. If he's not in the woods poaching it gives him that much more time to make money like the rest of the us do! What would happen if the guy gets caught poaching, how would a big hefty fine help the family get on their feet, one needs to keep a sensible head!
Agreed! Although I have never been in the situation that deer meat is a necessity, thank goodness. I don't know that poaching is the answer. There are always jobs available for flipping burgers (I'm not saying anything bad against this job I'm just saying they are available)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

Ok so if you go to a hunting reserve and shoot a deer in May. Thats out of season why isnt that poaching? I dont even know why I got involved in this , back to my