Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Letting bucks "Walk"....for those who continue to do so...

Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Default RE: Letting bucks "Walk"....for those who continue to do so...

letting 'em walk for me is no big thrill, i do however enjoy watching them, but seeing that big 'un walk out that I KNOW i'm gonna take is HUGELY more rewarding to me... letting 'em walk is a mgmt tool for us, i watch the deer and see if its a shooter and that is exciting, but once i get a good view of the rack and determine that it isn't i just sit back and scan to see if another is following it around and go back to watching the non-shooter buck eat and stuff... enjoyable? you betcha... as rewarding as finding a shooter? no way...
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 AM

I have let probably 15 bucks walk during bow season this year ranging from spikes to a basket 8 point and now it looks like I won't be getting a deer this year as they all have disappeared off of the land I hunt. Would I change passing those bucks? Not a chance because hopefully some of them become jaw droppers next year. I love the rush of hearing the deer come in and walk within 15 yards. This year I had a 4 point bed right below me for 2 hours.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't really feel any excitement in letting them walk. This year I passed on the biggest buck that gave me a chance(meaning up to this point I've never passed on a buck this big). It was about the same size as a nice one I shot about 4 years ago. That moment in no way shape or form came close to the excitement I got when I actually shot one of that size several years back.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM

I don't know if excitement is the right term for me. I get excitement from shooting a big buck, I get satisfaction from letting one walk. For me they aredifferent emotions, not better or worse. Don't get me wrong, I get excited anytime a good buck is in range. I enjoy it very much. But I get satisfaction from doing what Iwant do to further the needs of my herd and my maturity as a hunter. It has much more to do with meeting my own goals as a hunter than it does arbitrary goals of the hunting community around me. And it feels really good to see/take a deer that is mature, when he wouldn't have been if you shot him two years earlier. We each take enjoyment in different ways.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let me give an example.....

GregH lets a 3.5yr old 9 pointer walk....because he's just not what he's looking for.

Does that experience with that deer.....give you as much enjoyment.....as it would have if you'd taken that same deer 3 seasons ago?

I have to think (only if you subscribe to this type of hunting)....that it would. Being in the presence of a "great" deer (everything's relative) is a huge rush. I would think that would be enough, "sometimes". I would think (again....if you subscribe) it would get better and better with each occurrence.....even if it only occurred once a yr or LESS.

A camera will defintely become more of a friend to me as I continue hunting.
GMMAT, this is exactly what I've done. From the time I started passing 1 1/2sright up to 2 years a go when I started passing 3 1/2s and 4 1/2s up to 135+ inches. By passing such deer it has enabled me to see even bigger deer and watch and learn more of how deer opperate. I won't get a high 140s+ if I shoot one that's smaller.

However, it does not compare to the feeling I get after making a good shot on any deer. If it's a doe I still get all shakey after shooting it.

That's why I hunt.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 AM

If I truely feel he is a great deer, then he is probably not going to walk. I have let bucks walk that I have spent the minutes leading up to them entering my shooting lane frantically looking at the rack, deciding if I should take him, could I do better, would this provide satisfaction for me, do I want my season to end right here, right now? Its a complete rush of emotions filled with second guesses when he passes through your shooting lane and you know he is gone. I feel a sense of accomplishment that I was this close to a buck that was so close to what I was looking for, but at the same time I am second guessing everything, were his tines longer than I thought, dang he is over 20 inches inside aint he, you dumb%&#$ what did you let him walk for? Its a sense of mixed emotions.

For me, the actual kill is the most anticlimatic part of the hunt because its over. Its over. I enjoy the chase so much more than the kill and there are times I think I would be just as satisfied to hunt with a camera, But there is something special about grabbing that thick main beam in your hands. If I could script my hunting season, I would hunt all year, take in all the experiences and then on the last day of the year tag out on a buck I am really happy with. Every year I actually dread the chance that a 150+ class buck could walk past my stand at 20 yards on opening morning. I just dont want the season to end so quickly, it would be hell for me. Couldnt he just wait until December.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maryland_Whitetail

I enjoy letting them walk. Just being in the stand and seeing them in their natural environment is joy enough for me! Being a hunter for only two year like Jeff, seeing them and passing has gotten rid of my horrible shakes!!!
Exactly! earlier in the season I would get the shakes all the time even if I had no intention of shooting, by the end of the season I was calm. I think this is a good thing to do for us novice hunters. I don't want to repeat my previous woundings!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Site Bouncer

I wouldn't say that I "enjoy" letting a buck walk because I'd like to shoot them all...big or small.I just like to hunt periodbut I only have a certain amount of buck tags per year and some years (for what ever reason) I decide to go after a certain size or particulardeer. It's then I'll let other deer walk but it's no way near as gratifying as putting them down.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't mind letting them walk, enjoy watching them. Didn't shoot a buck again this year that's three years eating my buck tag. I do hate getting the phonecall that someone smacked one with the car.Also got to watch one I let walk during bow, get shot opening morning of gun. The guy was really phsyched so that didn't even bother me.

Is...."the one I let walk".....AS enjoyable as the one I GOT, two seasons ago? I can honestly see where it could be.
Don't think it could be for me.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let me give an example.....

GregH lets a 3.5yr old 9 pointer walk....because he's just not what he's looking for.

Does that experience with that deer.....give you as much enjoyment.....as it would have if you'd taken that same deer 3 seasons ago?

I have to think (only if you subscribe to this type of hunting)....that it would. Being in the presence of a "great" deer (everything's relative) is a huge rush. I would think that would be enough, "sometimes". I would think (again....if you subscribe) it would get better and better with each occurrence.....even if it only occurred once a yr or LESS.

A camera will defintely become more of a friend to me as I continue hunting.
GMMAT, this is exactly what I've done. From the time I started passing 1 1/2sright up to 2 years a go when I started passing 3 1/2s and 4 1/2s up to 135+ inches. By passing such deer it has enabled me to see even bigger deer and watch and learn more of how deer opperate. I won't get a high 140s+ if I shoot one that's smaller.

However, it does not compare to the feeling I get after making a good shot on any deer. If it's a doe I still get all shakey after shooting it.

That's why I hunt.
That pretty much wraps it up in a nutshell.

I guess I just view letting a smallerbuck walk as part of the mature buck hunting experience. That being said, any deer that walks under my stand is a pleasurable experience, the bigger the better, but as Greg says, it's nothing like the flood of emotions that accompaniesharvesting a deer.

Quick Reply: Letting bucks "Walk"....for those who continue to do so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.