Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you hide your cameras in the woods?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Default how do you hide your cameras in the woods?

i know this about a trail camera but its not about what kind etc. what do yall do to hide them from other people seeing them. people around here just walk all over and dont even notice property lines and theres a few other guys that hunt my uncles land that i dont know. i just got a cuddeback noflash, and i cant even put it where i want to because im about parinoid about it getting stole. the season ends in a few days so ppl will be out of the woods but right now people will be doing deer drives, etc. i really want to keep it somewhere good but out of sight. right now i have it in a pine thicket that was planted. i put corn out in the tall grass so it would be hiden but you can still see it. i screwed it into the tree but im trying to figure out of a way so somebody walking by wont see it. it was a christmas gift so id feel bad if it got stole. i scribed my name on the inside of it but i know that wont help much.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how do you hide your cameras in the woods?

I don't have a lot of trail cams yet (just an older Stealth 35 mm right now), but I just might start investing in those next year (it's my last area to conquer in terms of having everything I want for my bowhunting needs [8D]).

I've given it a bit of thought, because -- like you -- I don't want to sink a substantial investment into these only to have them walk off in my absence. Aside from camo'ing them with a particular camo I've got in mind (www.ultimatecamo.com), I've been thinking about placing them above people's line of sight, say 10-15 feet or so, and angling them down. I may have to build some little wedge-shaped wooden blocks to insert behind them before strapping them down, I'm not sure yet.

Whenever I hung one, I could simply take some Cranford steps with me, or if I was hanging them on public land, takea fewLW climbing sticks with me. If I only checked them once a week or so, it really wouldn't be that big a hassle and may keep them from the average person passing through in two ways: 1) he might not even see it... and 2) even if he did, he wouldn't be able to readily reach it

Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 PM

thats a really good idea, wonder if it would work as good being at an angle like that?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:12 AM

Yes, a down angle will work fine.

Here are my thoughts on the subject. First off, if someone really wants you camera, they will get it no matter what. I have heard of python locks cut with bolt cutters, and even trees cut down with a chain saw. Locks and such keep honest people from being tempted, and may be too much work for lazy thieves, but if they really want it, it is gone. Best bet is for them to never know it is there.

All of the land I hunt is private, and most of it is pretty secure from trespassers, but not all. First off, IR is best for hiding, and you have that covered with the no flash. A big white flash screams "come steal me". Second, don't put the cam at eye level where it is easily seen, up high out of line of sight is good. Removable steps and such to make it hard to get to are even better. Put a python around it too, and then you are talking real work to get to it and steal it. If there are some small limbs an branches that can help break it's outline then so much the better. Don't make a regular trail going to it either, if they follow your tracks in and they suddenly stop, they are going to be looking for what you were doing there and may find your camera.

I build my own homebrews, with hours of work in them. To lose one is more painful to me than if it just cost money. I protect them well when need be.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is sad that we have to think about things like this, but it is one of the reasons I haven't bought a camera yet.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I don't have a lot of trail cams yet (just an older Stealth 35 mm right now), but I just might start investing in those next year (it's my last area to conquer in terms of having everything I want for my bowhunting needs [8D]).

I've given it a bit of thought, because -- like you -- I don't want to sink a substantial investment into these only to have them walk off in my absence. Aside from camo'ing them with a particular camo I've got in mind (www.ultimatecamo.com), I've been thinking about placing them above people's line of sight, say 10-15 feet or so, and angling them down. I may have to build some little wedge-shaped wooden blocks to insert behind them before strapping them down, I'm not sure yet.

Whenever I hung one, I could simply take some Cranford steps with me, or if I was hanging them on public land, takea fewLW climbing sticks with me. If I only checked them once a week or so, it really wouldn't be that big a hassle and may keep them from the average person passing through in two ways: 1) he might not even see it... and 2) even if he did, he wouldn't be able to readily reach it
LOL ..... BOOM!! Told ya so...Big D