Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snort wheeze

Old 12-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Snort wheeze

I dont doubt you at all david. In fact I would have to say I totally believe you. I had never heard more than a single grunt from a deer. and I spend a bunch of time in the woods. Probably not nearly as much as yourself, but more than 25 hours a week. unless its a bad week. I just dont understand why all the sudden the deer around here have become so damn talkative. i heard probably 5 or six snort/wheezes this year. And lots of rolling grunts, bleats, single grunts etc.
the one sound that I still don't buy is that "buck roar" never heard anything like it come out of a buck. I would be inclined to guess that all this is a result of some change in thier environment that I have not noticed yet.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have called in alot of bucks mature and immature alike to the snort wheeze.........I have also had mature and immature bucks turn tail and run when I have used this call........it really just depends on the mood of the buck. Here is a video clip from last year of a 1 1/2 that I snort wheezed in and a mature 4.5 later in the morning that was chasing a hot doe, he actually snort wheezed as he was chasing her after i grunted at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeQJVe-fzcE

BTW rib me all you want for hitting the tree..............it was below my line of sight and never saw it,had a clear "veiw" to the vitals..............oh well, he's still alive and only getting bigger as the years go by.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Well you all just go ahead with all your noise making. I'll be patiently sitting quietly in my tree on the down wind side of a trail waiting for the deer I've patterned to pass by. He won't be alert, alarmed or know I'm there. It works for more often than some old cigar smoking cough.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well to each his/her own, you can hunt anyway you like, I was merely showing proof that this call does work........I only use it during the rut and then only if the buck is out of range and not coming towards me, all other times of the season I sit quietly and wait for the deer to come to me...........but regardless it is how I choose to hunt,why bash someone for hunting the way they want?????
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

what are you trying to say?
I'm saying... "you may be full of dog dodo. After flipping through a bunch of your old post.... I'm sure of it. LOL
how can you say that?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm right there with you davidmil. Been hunting a few less years than you have. Killed my first deer with a recurve bow in the mid 1960's and quit counting a long time ago. Inall these years I've never heard the famed snort wheeze. I have noticed a correlation between the amount of hunting videos a hunter watches and how often he hears the snort wheeze in the field though.

I find it interesting that nobody even talked about it not that many years ago.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Here's the million dollar question: why do you care one way or the other? You don't use calling as a hunting tool, some of us do and have success with it, you choose not to do it and that is fine, but why make fun of or bash someone that does call to deer...........if you have never heard a buck or doe snort wheeze then maybe you hav'nt be in the woods at the right time, most calling is most pronounced during the rut, but if you hunt in an area with a skewed buck/doe ratio or your rut is really drawn out you probably have never heard deer vocalizations...........next you'll be telling everyone that rattling is bogus too and no bucks fight in the real woods

BTW I have video footage of bucks sparring too if you need proof.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Site Buck Guru

I'm with Davidmil, a lot of posts in this thread are BS. I've been hunting for 41 years and have heard the snort-wheeze 2 or 3 times. One of the times I caused it by grunting at a very big buck (170s), however, a doe came out and sucked him away from me.

Although I haven't ran out and bought this call, I may eventually. I believe that it may be effective during a short period during the season but now is not the time. They're all fought out and ready to drop their antlers (in my area anyway). There will still be some breeding taking place, a few fawns, but there won't be any fighting over them. By now they all know who is king of the hill. I've witnessed this over the last 8 years.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've never used it, local pro shop owner told me he had pretty good luck with it this year. He called in a few deer using it.

Like most calls, do it at the right time with the right deer and he's going to come.

I think it would be worth trying. I don't call alot but have noticed that when I call it doesn't scare the deer away. They either come or they don't pay any attention at all. The only call I've had scare them was the "Can". Haven't had much luck with that one.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I'm with Davidmil, a lot of posts in this thread are BS. I've been hunting for 41 years and have heard the snort-wheeze 2 or 3 times. One of the times I caused it by grunting at a very big buck (170s), however, a doe came out and sucked him away from me.

Although I haven't ran out and bought this call, I may eventually. I believe that it may be effective during a short period during the season but now is not the time. They're all fought out and ready to drop their antlers (in my area anyway). There will still be some breeding taking place, a few fawns, but there won't be any fighting over them. By now they all know who is king of the hill. I've witnessed this over the last 8 years.

I don't think anyone was saying they are using the call now? I have only ever used it during the chase phase of the rut when bucks are cruising heavily and are on no set pattern.

Obviously now is not the time to be using this call in the midwest, but if you are in a southern state such as La. where the rut is just cranking up it could be a very useful call.

BTW I'm sure you know it GregH , but no amount of calling is gonna pull a buck away from a hot doe.

Also you don't need to buy this call it can be done very easily with your natural voice.

Quick Reply: Snort wheeze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.