Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hang on treestands

Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hang on treestands

There isnt anything easy about them. I just hung one for the first time a week ago.
I took a 16 ft ladder with me. I carried it up the ladder strapped it to the tree with
the strap that came with it. Once the weight was off my arms/shoulder I took
two rachet straps and secured it too the tree. Also if your using screw inn pegs be
sure too test them out you dont want too have them spaced out too far. hope this helps. ia
Old 12-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks everyone. now i think i can do it with the screw in step to hang it on. and btw this is my first treestand i always ground hunt except like 2 hunts out of ladder stand
Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

They are a piece of cake once you've set one or two..............I prefer climbing sticks, once you have the sticks set, climb to the second to last step and attach your lineman belt.............pull the stand up and place it folded against the tree,your belt should hold you so that you have both hands to wrap the strap around the tree...........situate the stand how you want it for hieght and position on the tree, then cinch the strap tight and ratchet the platform down so it tightens even more,your biggest difficulty should be getting positioned just right so it is level and tight to the tree (which isn't that hard once you know what to look for).........practice on the ground until you are confident then go up the tree.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

First of all use a lineman's belt with your safety harness. If you are not sure what a lineman's belt is then look it up. If you don't have one, buy one!!! It makes the job soooo much easier and safer. A lineman's belt wraps aroung the tree so you can work with both hands safely.

Set up your climbing sticks, or screw in tree steps,(with your harness/linemans belt on so you can work with both hands).
Screw in another tree step or an eye hook. Use this with a piece of rope to pull the hang on stand up and then tie it off so you can get the strap(s) around the tree.
For safety sake, use the eyehook everytime you climb up, you should have a carabiner on the end of your safety harness. This gives you an extra level of security.
Once your stand is hung, put another eyehook above where you sit so you can hook up when you are on stand. While you are at it, screw in a tree step or bow/gun hanger for your hunting tool of choice and for your backpack and other gear.

The stand needs to in the "folded" position, keeping the straps tight, but not too tight. ( I use a zip tie to hold it until I have the strap around the tree) When you lower the platform it will bite into the tree which will tighten it up. If the platform will not level out then lift it back up and loosen the strap just a little. I also use a ratchet strap as insurance, I don't like the idea of just one strap holding myself up at 20' above the ground.

Try working with it at ground level until you are comfortable with it, no sense learning at 20' up in the air.

I hope this helps you out. Once you get the hang of it it really is not too difficult.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

lineman's belt
thanks i'm alreday feeling more confident.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Treehopper makes a belt that makes hanging stands safer, quieter, and easier by leaps and bounds. I won't go into the woods without it.

http://www.treehopper-llc.com/
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

They are a piece of cake once you've set one or two..............I prefer climbing sticks, once you have the sticks set, climb to the second to last step and attach your lineman belt.............pull the stand up and place it folded against the tree,your belt should hold you so that you have both hands to wrap the strap around the tree...........situate the stand how you want it for hieght and position on the tree, then cinch the strap tight and ratchet the platform down so it tightens even more,your biggest difficulty should be getting positioned just right so it is level and tight to the tree (which isn't that hard once you know what to look for).........practice on the ground until you are confident then go up the tree.
First of all use a lineman's belt with your safety harness. If you are not sure what a lineman's belt is then look it up. If you don't have one, buy one!!! It makes the job soooo much easier and safer. A lineman's belt wraps aroung the tree so you can work with both hands safely.

Set up your climbing sticks, or screw in tree steps,(with your harness/linemans belt on so you can work with both hands).
Screw in another tree step or an eye hook. Use this with a piece of rope to pull the hang on stand up and then tie it off so you can get the strap(s) around the tree.
For safety sake, use the eyehook everytime you climb up, you should have a carabiner on the end of your safety harness. This gives you an extra level of security.
Once your stand is hung, put another eyehook above where you sit so you can hook up when you are on stand. While you are at it, screw in a tree step or bow/gun hanger for your hunting tool of choice and for your backpack and other gear.

The stand needs to in the "folded" position, keeping the straps tight, but not too tight. ( I use a zip tie to hold it until I have the strap around the tree) When you lower the platform it will bite into the tree which will tighten it up. If the platform will not level out then lift it back up and loosen the strap just a little. I also use a ratchet strap as insurance, I don't like the idea of just one strap holding myself up at 20' above the ground.

Try working with it at ground level until you are comfortable with it, no sense learning at 20' up in the air.

I hope this helps you out. Once you get the hang of it it really is not too difficult.

Good Hunting

What they said!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Surely you don't mean you're trying to stand on the ground and affix your stand to the tree? Not sure from your post...

There's some good info in a couple older threads I dug up for you:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2472322&mpage=1

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2381468&mpage=1
Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was just testing it out before i go up a tree. i want to feel safe with it
Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

1700 posts

Quick Reply: hang on treestands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.