Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thumb release guys.....question(s)

Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Thumb release guys.....question(s)

I know some of you guys employ a thumb trigger release for target shooting. Some probably do for hunting, as well.

Mine will be here, today. I used a thumb release for a short time a little over a year ago....and honestly never got the hang of it. That's not saying much. User error, quite likely.

1. Will this change my anchor points....to the point that I have to re-ingrain them?

2. What are the things I need to look out for....so as not to ingrain BAD habits with this style release?

Any other hints are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thumb release guys.....question(s)

Jeff I switched to a thumd trigger release 2 years ago and it really improved my shooting. I had a bad habit of trigger punching which has stopped since I switched. My anchor point did not change. Instead of anchoring withthe knuckle of my index finger tucked into the divet under my ear lobe Inow anchor with the knuckle of my middle finger in the same place. The one word of warning that I will give you is that when I lose concentration I have a tendency to let go of the release which can be disasterous. I bought a wrist strap so thatif that happens at least my release doesn't go flying down range.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I just got my Chocolate addiction yesterday and have not had a chance to shoot it much. Hopefully I will be able to practice with it some today.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,

It won't change your anchor point but it will make your anchor "feel" a little off until you get used to it. Like anything else, it'll take some getting used to. It may also make your draw length shorter, or atleast feel shorter. If that makes any sense. I also think I remember you saying that you ordered a Carter, I know with my Carter, it changed my POI. The way I use a thumb release is that, I draw it with my thumb behind the trigger, I then get settled in at full draw, wrap my thumb AROUND the trigger, applying a little pressure, I then start floating the pin and pulling with my back. You want the release to be set a little on the heavy side, allowing you to use backtension. The most important thing that I had to remember was that I needed to wrap my thumb around the trigger and just start "pulling", while I "float" the pin.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds, MAtt.....like you're creating a BT release with a trigger style.

Is that correct?

THAT is what I want to do.

I hope it gives me (at least) the impression that my draw is a "tad" shorter. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

There will be slight differences but nothing to drastic and should be very easy for you to adapt to.Draw length is affected a little also but that is really determined by the release.

Here is how I shoot each,bt,thumb and wrist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOwEPsvHVQ
Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a thumb release with a short neck that will actually give you a little more draw length.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to switch back and forth, thumb for everything but hunting. I had to shorten the bow when I went to a wrist strap, and change the peep height. It all depends on how you anchor, the length of the release and the length of the loop (if any).

Try not to use your thumb to set off the release. ideally it will be back tension and the trigger will be pretty much at the joint where your thumb touches your hand. Do not use the thumb itself. Either shoot it with BT or alternatly shoot it by pulling with your pinky finger (or other fingers) and pulling the trigger into your hand, I've also seen them successfully show by slowly making a fist.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I remember you saying that you ordered a Carter, I know with my Carter, it changed my POI.
Not mine, I can switch from my Carter to my trigger release with no change of POI.

I'm not understanding if your anchor doesn't change, why is your POI changing? Was it left/right or high/low?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think they are for everyone...when I shot competitive 3D I tried one on and off for a summer with one of my bows and never got used to it or liked the feel of it at all...

I hope you like yours!

Quick Reply: Thumb release guys.....question(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.