Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thumb release guys.....question(s)

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thumb release guys.....question(s)

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I remember you saying that you ordered a Carter, I know with my Carter, it changed my POI.
Not mine, I can switch from my Carter to my trigger release with no change of POI.

I'm not understanding if your anchor doesn't change, why is your POI changing? Was it left/right or high/low?
I'm not sure why, but I couldn't change from my Sabertooth dual caliper, to my Carter and be dead on. Not sure why.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Rob, My point of impact does not change from Thumb trigger to index but that is me. Matt / pa is the best I have seen at shooting one of these. PM him. I actually switch back and forth between BT and thumb trigger. The thumb trigger, done properly, will do you well GMMAT. STICK WITH IT.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that I actually do anchor in a slightly different spot on my face with an index vs a thumb trigger / handheld because my peep height is not interchangable between the 2 releases. There is a slight variation and I can't swap back and forth. I would have to go and get the 2 styles and really feel where I have my hand in relation to my jawline but there has to be certain "landmarks" that fit the contours of my hand more naturally and also allow me to keep the string in a direct line with my hand and eye rather than out to the side on the most lateral portion of my jaw.
You'll know you are not anchored in a good spot if you feel like you have to tilt your head to the direction of your release hand to get your eye centered in your peep.
Some guys go forward of this point with a short anchor, some guys go behind but they both accomplish the same thing of getting your peep properly aligned with your eye laterally.

As for how your POI is affected with respect to release changes that's going to vary based upon 2 things, location of anchor on your face obviously and release style. The string or string loop doesn't behave the same out of every caliper release. I could take my Scott "Rhino" and my Scott "Wildcat" set for the same barrel length and trigger psoition coupled with the same anchor and the wildcat will shoot an 1" or so left of where the Rhino will just because of how the string loop clears the jaws.

There is no given with respect to swapping back and forth among any releases and POI.........some might find the POI is the same and others completely different. Shooting styles, anchor points, face shapes, jaw styles make that impossible to say that it should or shouldn't.

What was the original question? LOL I guess I should go back and read huh? I got caught up on this page first.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

POI can change from index finger to thumb trigger, or thumb trigger to thumb trigger. The jaws can cause different amounts of torque on the loop and string, it can cause different amounts of contact on your face which affects POI, etc. My TRU Ball ST-3 and my Carter Just Cuz impact in different places.

I haven't shot an index finger release in years, but when I did still and swapped back and forth between releases my anchor changed, as well as my loop length to accomodate this. My loop length can also change from different types of thumb triggers depending on the distance from my fingers, and the jaw/caliper/hook.

I'd really recommend taking as many shots as you can on the blank bale to get to know how to shoot this release without aiming at anything, but I guess it really boils down to how much commitment you are willing to make to get a super clean shot execution. 100% of coaches would tell you that you should not be aiming at anything for the first severalthousand shots at least when changing to a thumb trigger for the first time, but for most people it isn't worth that type of work to them. It really boils down to what you want to get out of it I guess.

That book will be at your place tomorrow, I'd suggest reading through it first before really doing much with that release. It's probably the best resource published today to teach you how to properly setup and execute that release in a repeatable manner.

Edit** Looks like Matt beat me to this while I was typing this novel......[8D]
Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I took some shots with my new thumb release last night. I'm positive I'm not committed enough to take thousands of balnk bale shots, but I'm looking forward to the literature.

My POI DID change, slightly. I was shooting slightly low with the new release. Simple sight housing adjustment and I was right back on track.

Another thing I HAVE to do is remember to fully rotate my release hand to a vertical position every time. I was getting mixed results rotating to differing degrees.

I can also tell that this IS the release for me for targets and blind hunting. I feel MUCH more in control of the release being "stable" with this style release. I'll be anxiously awaiting how my results improve over the next several months.

My last 12 arrows (20 yds) were all 10 rings (Vegas face), last night. I hope to get a LOT more practice.....AFTER I read how I'm "really" supposed to be doing this.

Thanks a LOT guys.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just do this......

Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing I HAVE to do is remember to fully rotate my release hand to a vertical position every time. I was getting mixed results rotating to differing degrees.
I'm not sure if Larry's book that Matt's sending you will say anything about it, but as you can see Dave up above in Matt's post, most recommend NOT turning your hand all the way to vertical, as it places stress on your forearm at the shot.. just something to consider before you begin ingraining a motion in your memory.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Just do this......

I was getting ready to make the exact same post.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I'm not sure if Larry's book that Matt's sending you will say anything about it, but as you can see Dave up above in Matt's post, most recommend NOT turning your hand all the way to vertical, as it places stress on your forearm at the shot.. just something to consider before you begin ingraining a motion in your memory.
I agree but if it works,it works,this guy got pretty good doing it the "wrong" way. But do try to get the angle working first,because vertical is definately NOT the norm.

You can see the tension difference in the 2 forearms pictured and both these guys are among the worlds best archers.

Quick Reply: Thumb release guys.....question(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.