Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trials and tribulations of Germ v. Mr. Mass

Old 12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: trials and tribulations of Germ v. Mr. Mass

ORIGINAL: davidmil

So as I take it your plan is to keep eyeballing each other and having these chance meetings until he tires of the game and gets used to you. When he finally becomes tame to the point of hand feeding you're going to shoot him. Now I ask you.... is that fair chase? I think it would be more fair to shoot him from a rocking boat while he's still somewhat leary of you. You've seen this guy more than I see my house cats in a week. It's not fair chase to kill something as you pet it.[8D]
Well my goal is for him not to know I am there, lol When you pass by from the river, as long as you do not stop, you can skirt right on by.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe it's just me. The last thing on my mind (I dont' care what the situation) with a big buck 25 yards from me, is calling someone from HNI on my cell phone and telling them about it [:-]. To each their own I guess, but that just seems..... well..... strange to me. Best of luck to you though bud!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ha! I hope you do get him. If he really is that old he might start getting smaller racks in the coming years, but the story of the hunt over several years will be cool. How much time left this year?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Maybe it's just me. The last thing on my mind (I dont' care what the situation) with a big buck 25 yards from me, is calling someone from HNI on my cell phone and telling them about it [:-]. To each their own I guess, but that just seems..... well..... strange to me. Best of luck to you though bud!
LOL.... NY.. that's a sign of having NO LIFE. LOL[8D][8D] ya really got to love it though.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

LOL.... NY.. that's a sign of having NO LIFE. LOL[8D][8D] ya really got to love it though.
OUCH!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOL.... NY.. that's a sign of having NO LIFE. LOL ya really got to love it though.
I think it's a sign of having a great life and great friends to share an amazing encounter with. It's so much enjoyable to play it out for a friend while it's happening vs telling of it later.

SO, I ask you all, WHY NOT? I think that's awesome!

First
It's not legal to have my bow knocked in a boat with a motor running, it's treated same as a car.
It's not legal to shoot from a boat with a motor on it. I would have to take the motor off(out of the water).

I will not shoot a deer out of my boat.

Phone was in my pocket, all I said was "call Jeff"

Second
As soon as I stop he's gone, I can motor past them no issue. Just like a car, how many times have you driven by deer and they have not moved. Stop your car and what happens in pressure areas?

Third
I have seen him a lot, but I also have hunted a lot Because I can sneak in and out with the boat I have not spook him off my best spots.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

All we need now is for the movie "It's a Good Life" to start playing again. Germ, you aren't going to be able to let the string go when the time comes. This deer and you are almost friends. Reminds me of the deer I hunted for 3 and a half seasons. I saw him twice in that time. I became obsessed with him. The last time I saw him I threw my head back a actually yelled into the empty woods, "you win"! I never hunted him again. It was a perfect ending. I think I love the memory of the chase more than I would his horns on a wall. I found one half a shed with 7 points the year before the end. I nailedit to a club house wall in Georgia. It burned with the building. A perfect ending. Your deer almost deserves to just fade away.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I called Jeff my friend Not someone from HNI.

Thank you Davemill, you stating I have no life is a compliment[:-]
Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Rob, I agree w/ you on that one 100%. When I shot my buck this year, I had more fun sharing it w/ some of the guys here than I can even say. It really does add to the experience, and friends are friends, irregardless of how they're made.....Nes pas?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another reason I enjoy rifle hunting.When I have had a bunch of instances where a great buck has eluded me at distances outside my comfort range I get to extend that comfort range by 200 to 300 yards.
There is only so much a person can take!LOL

Quick Reply: trials and tribulations of Germ v. Mr. Mass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.