Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I would stand a better chance of success with the Cabela's card
68.66%
I would stand a better chance of success with the Walmart card
1.49%
I would tag out no matter what
8.96%
Neither option would impact my hunting at all
20.90%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Walmart.com vs. Cabelas.com

Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Walmart.com vs. Cabelas.com

The way I'm thinking is that the more comfortable that I am with what I am wearing or what I am sitting on (treestand) means the longer I can stay in the woods which would improve my chances some. I couldn't imagine wearing a cheap uncomfortable pair of rubber boots instead of the ones I got from Cabelas. Or sitting in one of Wal-marts treestands all day (Have had one before and it wasn't comfortable). I do shop at Wal-mart for cheap gloves, socks, scents and calls.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Good point on the warmers. I'm not one to credit my equipment for my success. I'd like to think that 'I' had the most to do with it.

Bring home animals when other people say 'the weather's too bad', or 'the deer ain't moving', I'm not giving one lick of credit to my fleece stocking cap.

Can you buy scent-lok at walmart?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

They sell scent-blocker (Wal-mart)
Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

If I were to be 100% honest.......I'd have to say that I could outfit myself 100% in WalMart gear and it would probably impact my hunting 0% to the positive.

But....even though I drive a Tundra....I like this statement!

I could get to town on a Donkey, but I think I'll stick to my Silverado
There's something about "Pride of Ownership". I like nice, quality gear (don't we all?). if anything.....the pride of owning my gear "may" make me hunt harder.

On the other hand.....tellimg me I couldn't do it "as good" with WalMart gear might push me equally.

In the end....I'd say the difference woud be 0. Just my opinion.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may be right about being able to get it done either way. The trouble I think I would have is getting anything I bought at Walmart to last me an entire season. That's why I don't buy much there anymore. Is it really a Bargain?
An Ol friend of mine once told me if you want Good, Clean Oats expect to pay a Fair price, but if you are satisfied with Oats that have been through the Horse I can find you a Bargain
There's a lot of truth in that!

Dan
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder if deer can associate lead with humans
Old 12-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my peripheral stuff IS from WalMart. I don't think difference in quality impacts my chances noticeably. Unless I want something specific, like Predator camo patterns, I don't seeshopping atWalMartas being a problem. Since I DON'T have an unlimited card I look at things different. I can spend $200 at Cabela's and get a jacket and socks or I can take that same $200 bucks and buy 2 or 3 complete outfits at Walmart on clearance after the season. Socks, gloves, pants, underwear, wicking layers, shirts, jackets all for less than 1/4 of retail price!Now, which is going to let me stay in the stand longer? Outside of gun ammo, I don't buy my weapon items at WalMart. But buy much of everything else. I think people often want to justify to themselves the need to spend that extra money on high price gear. (There are exceptions to this on the extremes, but for the most part it's a truism.)
Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, Quick the WalMart near me does sell hunting boots, mostly Herman Survivors, but they are seasonal, which is probably why you don't see them online. Although nothing says you can't hunt in work boots or hiking boots. If you're ina treestand all the deer will be able to see is the soles so camo isn't needed. They don't sell rubber boots for men either.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got off on a tangent a minute ago: Started wondering exactly how those handwarmers actually work. More useless information that I thought I'd pass along...

According to a manufacturer: Warmers operate on a chemical reaction with air similar to rusting. The warmer ingredients are iron, water, cellulose, vermiculite, activated carbon and salt. The heating process takes place in this fashion:
[ul][*]The iron in the pouch, when exposed to oxygen, oxidizes and therefore produces heat (aka, "Air Activated").[*]When iron oxidizes it produces iron oxide, more commonly referred to as rust.[*]The salt acts as a catalyst.[*]The carbon helps disperse the heat.[*]The vermiculite is used as an insulator for the purpose of retaining the heat and the cellulose is added as a filler.[*]All of these ingredients are surrounded by a polypropylene bag.[*]Polypropylene allows air to permeate the ingredients while holding in moisture. [/ul]
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.buyamericanmart.com/

Great place to shop, btw cheap does not always come from china. Sitka stuff was made in China(I had no idea) at 220.00 bucks for a jacket, geeish

I do agree equipment is not that important in purisuit of whitetail. Remember I got most of my stuff well below cost.

Quick Reply: Walmart.com vs. Cabelas.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.