Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone lose any deer

Old 12-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Anyone lose any deer

I lost three 7pt and a nice 6pt both were hit in the sholder with the muzzy 100 gran my bow is 65 pounds parker..... dont no i never found blood nore any type of sign.... any tips post me back... mry xmas

Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone lose any deer

Read the tracking thread at the top of the page, and stop shooting them in the shoulder.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take up rifle hunting [&:]
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Can you say TROLL???? We don't loose deer around here.... especially on our second post. LOL I'd say try the shooting gallery at the carnival next summer.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Easy answer don't shoot them in the shoulder. Three is to many in one year you must be aiming to far forward on them and need to learn were to shoot them. The last one I hit in the shoulder was about 8 years ago. My 70 lb bow and gold tip carbon arrow with a 85 grain thunderhead went through one of the shoulder blades and it was a complete passed through. The buck was a 30 yard shot and didn't go far. One reason I like shooting as heavy as can good and fast, hard hitting bows and carbon arrows is so if I ever have a brain fart and hit some thing like the shoulder again it has a good chance to pass through it are do a lot of damage.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll say this much ---he is pretty brave posting it here. Good thing is that he is asking for help.
I agree with the others----study shot placment and tracking. Keep your chin up .
Old 12-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

I would say that , assuming they were witin reasonable range of your skill ability, and draw weight, you probably shot too high and forward. Resulting in perhaps clipping the front of the lungs and very little to no blood in the first 50 yards or so. remember to go though a system and not to take a shot unless you are sure it is a kill. And check out a deers anatomy some time. I lost one this year for that very reason, mine was a pass though of the blades, but was too high/forward. I felt bad, because I new it was more than likely dead, but learned a little. it was the first deer i ever lost. Which sucked. But keep your head up, and goodness dont shoot them shoulders man!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lost a deer when I was 16...that was the last time and I'm 48 now.

When I shoot, I listen to see if I can hear them drop; I hunt in heavy cover, so I can't always see them drop. If I don't find blood, by hearing them drop, I have a pretty good idea of the general area in relation to where I was. I usually do a back and forth search pattern (in and out) of the area, then a side to side (leftto right) if that doesnt' work.

One time I shot a deer and knew I hit it but couldn't find it. I was pretty sure I had walked all over it, but in the dark was hard to tell. The next morning, I climbed the tree where I shot it, and directed my BIL to where I shot it by arm signals.

It was pretty thick from ground level, but from the air, I could see most of the area. There was no blood, but he found the deer no more than ten yards away from where I shot it.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:40 AM

Just practice all youcan. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 65 # bow, 100 grain muzzy with a well tuned arrow will blow through a shoulder and dispatch a whitetail in seconds given it was shot within a reasonable range.....