Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

making a recurve

Old 12-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default making a recurve

I have read and also watched that you could make your own recuve or long bow. It seems like a fun project to do . here is a short demo of what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYWy6op1AI
Has anyone here ever tried doing something like this ? and how did it turn out ?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: making a recurve

thats really cool!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The take down recurve I have now is a custom made bow. When I ordered it the riser and handle was roughly cut as were the limbs. I sanded the limbs to what poundage I wanted to shoot and then Varnished them and then later I camoed the whole bow. The Riser and the grip was the most work, it took alot of sanding patience to get it the way I wanted. I'm still hunting with that same recurve today 15 years later. Art and the other guys in the Traditional forum have made a alot of them with some good success.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

The take down recurve I have now is a custom made bow. When I ordered it the riser and handle was roughly cut as were the limbs. I sanded the limbs to what poundage I wanted to shoot and then Varnished them and then later I camoed the whole bow. The Riser and the grip was the most work, it took alot of sanding patience to get it the way I wanted. I'm still hunting with that same recurve today 15 years later. Art and the other guys in the Traditional forum have made a alot of them with some good success.
I will take a stab at making a bow on of these years. Schultzy do you have a picture of your bow??
Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

We (my son and I) made a self-bow for my son, it shoots 30#'s at 26". It took about 12 hours or so to make. Very rewarding experience. I wanted to make one last year for myself, but couldn't find the time. Hopefully this year.

My son (in red) and his selfbow, bottom pic is also him with it:

Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM

BobCo19-65 now thats cool. How would I go about making one of those? What kind of wood do you use. I would love to make one for my son.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: matters

BobCo19-65 now thats cool. How would I go about making one of those? What kind of wood do you use. I would love to make one for my son.
The bow is made from a single piece of osage, nothing more. The best think to do is try to get to one of the bigger traditional shoots. Usually there will be staves available that are ready to be made into bows. They also usually have all the tools needed to shape and tiller the bow properly along with scales, files, scrapers, etc. On this particualr bow, we also twisted up the string. Also available is the expertise to guide you. You could do one by yourself, but by the time you get together everything you need......., well you get the point. This would be especially true if you decide you only want to make a few bows.

BTW, we made this bow at my Club's Traditional Shoot. Gary Davis, who is a very well known selfbow bowyeris there every year.

If you want to see Gary, check out Masters of the Barebow volume II.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've made selfbows with just a hatchet and an Old Hickory butcher knife. Of course, they also looked like they were made with a hatchet and a butcher knife. But they shot fine. With all the 'right' tools, you can elevate them to an art form.

I've never made a recurve yet, but here's a longbow I made.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice longbow Art. I don't recall seeing that one before.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's the same one, Bob. Just some previously unposted pics of it.

Quick Reply: making a recurve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.