Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

making a recurve

Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: making a recurve

Beautiful longbow Art! Thats one sweet piece of work! How long did that take to make hours wise????
Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not counting the time for the epoxy and finishto cure, just actual time spent with cutting, fitting, gluing,grinding,sanding and finishing, then fiddling around with the handle so it fit my hand just like I wanted and refinishing,it was about25 hours total. It would've been a good bit less without the curved stripes in the handle and the overlays. They take some time to get fitted and blended in just right. And if I'd had some experience. It's my first and only laminated bow... so far. I had so much fun doing it that Igotta make another one, just gotta. Now that I've done a reflex/deflex, I want to make a HowardHill-style straight limb bow. And eventually a recurve.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Ill start posting some of my bows as I get them done. Its a blast to make bows. Ive never done a true recurve, but have done a R/D long bow.

Nice bow Arthur. Do you do any lams? Ive only done composite woods but think my next bow will be a lam with glass and bamboo or Ipe. Maybe even osage.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Not counting the time for the epoxy and finishto cure, just actual time spent with cutting, fitting, gluing,grinding,sanding and finishing, then fiddling around with the handle so it fit my hand just like I wanted and refinishing,it was about25 hours total. It would've been a good bit less without the curved stripes in the handle and the overlays. They take some time to get fitted and blended in just right. And if I'd had some experience. It's my first and only laminated bow... so far. I had so much fun doing it that Igotta make another one, just gotta. Now that I've done a reflex/deflex, I want to make a HowardHill-style straight limb bow. And eventually a recurve.
My first was a flat board bow. Little too much hand shock for most and string follow for most.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Here isa walnutstave I cut last night. I think this will be a R/D bow with a walnut maple riser. I also have a redoak bamboo composit in the oven right now that has 3 inch reflex.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

We (my son and I) made a self-bow for my son, it shoots 30#'s at 26". It took about 12 hours or so to make. Very rewarding experience. I wanted to make one last year for myself, but couldn't find the time. Hopefully this year.

My son (in red) and his selfbow, bottom pic is also him with it:

Bob
Is that osage? Nice work, especially if its osage. Hard to find a straight piece of osage.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Burnie, yes it is osage. And it does have some character to it (not completely straight). We did have to form it with some with heat.I may do a snakey osage next time.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Burnie, yes it is osage. And it does have some character to it (not completely straight). We did have to form it with some with heat.I may do a snakey osage next time.
Here is a real cool snakey one out of an osage stave.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool,

How is this for snakey?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Bartender

I am with you on this one. I just wish I was more mechanically inclined.
ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

The take down recurve I have now is a custom made bow. When I ordered it the riser and handle was roughly cut as were the limbs. I sanded the limbs to what poundage I wanted to shoot and then Varnished them and then later I camoed the whole bow. The Riser and the grip was the most work, it took alot of sanding patience to get it the way I wanted. I'm still hunting with that same recurve today 15 years later. Art and the other guys in the Traditional forum have made a alot of them with some good success.
I will take a stab at making a bow on of these years. Schultzy do you have a picture of your bow??

Quick Reply: making a recurve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.