Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Winter Turkey Bowhunting strategy

Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Winter Turkey Bowhunting strategy

From watching them quite a bit they really are quite a bit quieter it seems in the winter. They fly down from roost, go to water, browsing along the way, go to feed, mill around lazily nearby once done feeding(100- 300 yards from main food supply) and then head back to roost. If you had snow to work with i'd look for travelroutes, which i bet you dont, so scout hard, I'd just set up in ambush...
Old 12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

From watching them quite a bit they really are quite a bit quieter it seems in the winter. They fly down from roost, go to water, browsing along the way, go to feed, mill around lazily nearby once done feeding(100- 300 yards from main food supply) and then head back to roost. If you had snow to work with i'd look for travelroutes, which i bet you dont, so scout hard, I'd just set up in ambush...
this is true, until you separate the group
if you seperate them, get set up in the middle of where they all went, and call and give it some time
you should have a good hunt
Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to make calling work in fall/winter, you have got to bust up the flock. Most mature gobblers are hanging out in 'bachelor' groups right now. Aggressive calling wont do much, I like to do series' of yelps on a slate or glass call with a raspy striker. I like to sit in a ground blind on the inside corner of a bottom field with a couple dekes that can be seen in the distance.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

If you are dealing with a flock of gobblers (determined from calls or from droppings), then busting them up is your best bet. Family flocks or a group of broodless hens can be easily called in off themorning roost. I called in a dozen birds into bow range just a few days ago. I just clucked to them when they were in the trees - got kee kee responses, then hit them with loud lost yelps and kee-kees when they hit the ground. My turkey hunting partner used a shotgun (he's not a bowhunter) and got a nice VA hen for his Xmas dinner.A lot of hunters think you need to bust them up, not so... you're just making more work for yourself.

-fsh

Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

On my ranch in South Dakota it would be pretty easy right now. We have a few light calves that did not make the sale bunch that we feed some grain to every morning and when the calves are done eating the turkeys pick up the crumbs. Just hide in the feed bunk. LOL
Old 12-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either find their food source and abush them or learn how to Kee-Kee and pull them in.

Decoys might work too. They like company this time of year.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Busting them up right at roosting time and being there in the predawn readyto do some calling can work this time of year because they do like to stay in groups. Also, as I did in late season NE. if you know where they roost, water, and feed just setup up somewhere inbetween and your chances are pretty good. The Turkeys in Nebraska were pretty vocal despite the rough weather, even Gobbling on 2 different daysCheck out the pics here: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2525801

Dan