Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

delaware

Old 12-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default delaware

anyone know if there is any hunting in this state its about the size of a campbells soup can.... dosent seem like there would be much hunting ground. Anyone from there or hunt there??

Ryan.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 PM

Default RE: delaware

Ryan,

I am a Delaware native. Believe it or not, there is some good hunting to be had. The trouble is finding ground to hunt on. The state's deer herd was supposed to have around 30,000 animals as of a year or two ago, if I remember correctly. The total archery kill per season is usually well under a thousand. There are some nice bucks taken each year as well, especially in the southern part of the state. The geography in the north is rolling hills with lots of suburbs being built and only the occasional farm interspersed- it is very hard to find ground to hunt upstate, but the deer densities are really thick because of the decreasing habitat- lots of deer with the possibility of some very nice bucks, but like I said, getting access to where they live is hard in that area. The biggest bucks are usually found downstate, because it is easier to find land to hunt them on. This part of the state is very flat, and is predominantly agriculturally inclined. There are more possibilities for finding ground to hunt on here- several larger state forests and a few WMA's, as well as the possibilities of finding farms to hunt on and/or hopping on a lease with a few guys affordably. I don't know if you do any gun hunting, but the season in DE is only a week long, but they schedule it nicely so it coincides with the rut. (nicely for gun hunters, thought you might be interested to know that either way)

Hope that helps.
Jon
Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah accully that helps a lot.... Why did you move from delaware my girlfriend is trying her hardest to tell me that we should move down there beause its soooooooooo much better than what we have here...

Ryan.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been here 2 years. Can't find a place other thanpublic swamp land which you can't hunt because of the flying insects. Move inland from downstate towards Md and you will see nicer bucks. The DNR put the heard this year at 50,000. Delaware in my mind is an extension of Md's Eastern Shore but the further you move Eastthe quality goes down. Great waterfowl state. I live here because it's cheap and I'm close to myoriginal homestate of Md where I still do all my hunting.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Ryan,

The only reason I "moved" was a temporary four year exodus to go to college! I still enjoy hunting here over Christmas break. Like the others have echoed, good quality bucks available if you can find land to hunt them on, and the deer herd is on the rise.

Jon