Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Dumbing Down" your target set-up?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default "Dumbing Down" your target set-up?

Are we gaining leaps and strides in archery…..in regards to speed…..when the only thing I have to worry about in setting up my 3D rig…..is “dumbing it DOWN”? ….lol

I got some X-Cutters through a friend (thanks, buddy)….and the finished product is 327gr. My ALLEGIANCE at 65lbs. and smooth mods is pushing them through the chrono (today) at 310.2; 309.2 and 309. ASA (according to the Matt’s) dictates I need to be +3% over 280fps.

I’ll never be able to shoot my Airborne (with these arrows)……even if I crank it down to 60lbs. I was planning on shooting it at 62#’s, but I’m still betting it pushes that same arrow at well over 320fps.

To you guys who are going to shoot the Airborne…..what arrows are you going to shoot? Are you going to order 50-60 lb limbs? I STILL don’t think you can dumb it down unless you go to REALLY heavy arrows.

Is the current fps restriction “outdated”?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Dumbing Down" your target set-up?

The restriction is there to kinda even the playing field for guys who shoot slower setups.

I'm in the same boat as you Jeff, even though I got 50-60lb limbs, I'm still going to have to shoot a heavier arrow. I'm probably going to have to go with the GoldTip 30x Pro's, they're HUGE and heavy, lol. I'm not 100% sure that's the arrow I'm going with but my goal is, to shoot 50# and be at about 284ish.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

What type of speed do you get out of your Hunting arrows? Having a longer arrow with wraps and 125 grain tips will help but I don't know how much weight it takes to drop speeds to where you need them.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SCBigBuckHunter

What type of speed do you get out of your Hunting arrows? Having a longer arrow with wraps and 125 grain tips will help but I don't know how much weight it takes to drop speeds to where you need them.
It's going to take alot.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

The 82nd shot a 500gr arrow @71#'s and 29".........296fps at my shop, this week.

I don;t think you can get it to 280 with anything conventional.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Is the current fps restriction “outdated”?

NO,it is just right and the majority of people that shoot SERIOUS 3-d are not shooting speed bows(especially ASA),they are shooting "forgiving" bows.And MOST are not pulling 70#'s.Too much strain on the shoulders for that much shooting,remember that alot of these shooters shoot hundreds and maybe a thousand arrows a week.

Most forgiving bows do generate good speed but I could just barely get 280 with my forgiving bows and they were 305 ibo bows.

Remember that not all people have 28"-29"-30" draw lengths.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff:

A 30X Pro would probably do it for you. I am shooting them for indoors right now, and a 29" ish shaft with 150 grain glue in's and 4" low profile x-vanes weigh in at 501 grains. I'd bet at 65lbs, this would do just about what you would need.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't do the tournament thingy anymore. In fact, I haven't done it in about 25 years or something like that. BUT, even then my tournament rig was my hunting rig. I shot tournaments ONLY to be sharp for bow season. Dumbing down has never been a problem for me.(wait a minute..... that might not sound like what I meant it to sound like[&:]) OK, back to the point.I always have shot heavy arrows, heavy FOC and all that(a throw back to my recurve days) So, are you dumbing down for tournaments or dumbing up for hunting? You can do it all with the same setup unless you really feel the need for speed with your hunting rig. I don't think they'll allow all that speed at your tournaments. I prefer to call it Dumbing UP for tournaments with my same old gear I used all fall.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

I wouldn't shoot 3D with anything I wouldn't hunt with. I plan on hunting with the Airborne next Spring and Fall.

I honestly don't think the tournaments "I" will be shooting in will give a hill of beans what I'm shooting. I'm not going to take it THAT seriously.

I will be shooting a/c/c's out of it next Spring and Fall......3-71's.427gr.

It will be smokin.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like I'll be shooting ASA with my General, and Airborne for non regulated speed shoots.