Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Loud snow/ice scare the deer

Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Loud snow/ice scare the deer

funny... I was thinking the same thing today while I was on the in. I was able to get in fairly quite and did see some doe's but no Mr. Big I did see he has alrady made 2 new (large) scrapes in the 4 in. of new snow we have.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Just an observation.... but the crunchy snow might not be your problem. Your problem may very well be "The Stand", "My Stand", "Been this way for 2 weeks" etc etc. Sounds like you're locked in to one spot and have probably over hunted the heck out of it. Deer may not be human, but they aren't stupid. You hunt the same place time and time again you're going to educate every deer in the area... and yes they'll move. Secondly, it may not be the case here, but if you run deer out every time you walk in, perhaps you're hunting the stand the wrong time of day. There are lots of stands that should be only morning or only afternoon etc. I'd suggest a re-evaluation of the setup.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I found an other area for a blind and need to get that set up. I have an extra stand and will put it up in a new location. The only problem is I don’t have the much land to hunt (bow) since they re opened the guns season for doe only. Everything has been hunted very hard around here. The only timber that is good are the placed that no one is allowed to hunt.

I have heard that deer go were they don’t smell humans so with that in mind they have probably chanced there pattern.

Thanks for the info. I will look at finding some more placed to hunt.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Just an observation.... but the crunchy snow might not be your problem. Your problem may very well be "The Stand", "My Stand", "Been this way for 2 weeks" etc etc. Sounds like you're locked in to one spot and have probably over hunted the heck out of it. Deer may not be human, but they aren't stupid. You hunt the same place time and time again you're going to educate every deer in the area... and yes they'll move. Secondly, it may not be the case here, but if you run deer out every time you walk in, perhaps you're hunting the stand the wrong time of day. There are lots of stands that should be only morning or only afternoon etc. I'd suggest a re-evaluation of the setup.

I agree with David, my thoughts exactly.

Thanks David, saved a lot of typing for me.