Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Score this deer... Part 1 in a series.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Score this deer... Part 1 in a series.

157 1/8"

My guess prolly sucks!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

B&C will now include the gross score in the booksso you get the whole picture with only the net score of course counting.
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Until they change there scoring system everything should be net like they have it. Gross doesn't mean a darn thing when it comes to P@Y or B@C. Like it or not thats the way it is and I don't see it changing.
Thanks for the update!
Old 12-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

The gross score tells the true size of the buck. The net score is is doubling the smallest measurements of each side then subtracting the abnormal points. You don't get an accurate picture of the bucks true size.

Here's a 115" net buck, 9 points. Sounds like a decent 2 1/2. then when you see it in person and realize that there's 138" of horn on its head and it dressed at 220 lbs and was 5 1/2, then you see that the gross score more accurately describes the deers true size.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is that doubling also Greg [8D]sorry, i could not resist!! LOL!!
ORIGINAL: GregH

The gross score tells the true size of the buck. The net scoreis isdoubling the smallest measurements of each side then subtracting the abnormal points. You don't get an accurate picture of the bucks true size.

Here's a 115" net buck, 9 points. Sounds like a decent 2 1/2. then when you see it in person and realize that there's 138" of horn on its head and it dressed at 220 lbs and was 5 1/2, then you see that the gross score more accurately describes the deers true size.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

Be careful careful, it's contagious![:-]
Old 12-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

So what would the gross be on that buck in GregH's photo be.....as a non-typical? As a typical?

Greg...you say the buck in your photo has 138" of bone on his head. Is that his "gross"? Only reason I ask is.....why can't the buck in Scott's example get credit for every inch of antler on his "gross"? I honestly don't know.

What's the difference in the "gross" on that buck.....and "gross" on the one in Scott's photos? Why would we not add the abnormal points in Scott's to get it's non-typical "gross"?

Just trying to understand.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

The gross score tells the true size of the buck. The net score is is doubling the smallest measurements of each side then subtracting the abnormal points. You don't get an accurate picture of the bucks true size.

I'm not disagreeing one bit, you are correct. When they came up with the measuring system, they were basing it on symetry (The Perfect Rack) There isn't a such thing as a perfect rack but thats how they do it so thats what we got to live with! As long as were all happy with the bucks we shoot, thats all that should matter!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You add the abnormal points to the net score of the typical part of the rack to get the non-typical score. I think I explained that right. I don't know why otherwise GMMAT why they do it like they do. Its just the way it is.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I came up with 158 4/8", not sure if I got the kickers.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg...you say the buck in your photo has 138" of bone on his head. Is that his "gross"? Only reason I ask is.....why can't the buck in Scott's example get credit for every inch of antler on his "gross"? I honestly don't know.
Guys I really apologize....but I'm not understanding, still!

If greg's photo has his deer getting credit for every inch of antler on his head.....why can't the one Scott pictured? Why do we have to subtract the abnormal points? Doesn't he get credit for them in his "gross"?

Quick Reply: Score this deer... Part 1 in a series.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.