Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season IL?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Late season IL?

Has anyone in central IL been having any good luck? I have been hunting hard morning and evening for the past week and havent had a deer even present me with a shot. Just wondering if any1 else is having this problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Late season IL?

Ill be going often these next couple of weeks. Hunt food, and hunt at night. Late season morning hunts are TOUGH. Corn and soybeans. I love hunting this time of year. A time of hard-earned possibilities! Keep at it! Hunt Safe!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have been seeing deer around 3:30 ish. I plan on hunting hard the next week.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

find the hot food sources! if you aren't hunting the food.....you are wasting your time, all of their focus is on food this time of year, they will bed pretty close to the edge if it gets nasty too!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

When someone finds them, let me know... Good luck to all the other diehards out there like me!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:45 AM

Wed. morning I saw an 8 pt. and a doe....but both were on the opposite ridge from me...never coming closer than 75 yds. They were both in route to bedding areas I assume and that was right around 7 a.m....just about sunrise. Didn't see anything the rest of the day...nor the following morning. From what I've read (I'm a newbie to deer hunting), hunting the evenings is more productive last season, as ICALL2MUCH mentioned. I wanted to stick to morning hunts...as I'm not particularly fond of field dressing my first deer at night...but that strategy is going to apparently change.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Boss!

Good luck on taggin' that first one!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I,ll be out this evening....cold front & 35mph winds forecasted for tomarrow. Saw 1 doe & 3 yotes last Sunday evening, no shooter bucks though. Good luck to all & merry xmas.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I was out a couple times last week in the evenings. Not really in a postion to hunt where I want, just permission to hunt "little spots"...connected to big ones, it's ruff this time a year. Just not able to get to bedding areas and food sources[:@]
I did see a few does one evening around 4:30pm...tried a doe grunt, but they really paid no attention to it.I seenjust a fewsmall trails in the snow,but must be traveling through before light or after dark? I'll still get out a few times before season ends....hopefully I'll catch a drifter.
goodluck!
crutch
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM

Well thanks you all. Im just goin to keep doin what im doin. Its sure to bring me a doe at least. Hell i havent had any time to hunt since im in college. But ever since last friday when i got out i have been tryin to hunt at least 3 times a week were i go both morning an night. Thanks for all the info and i will be sure to reward u all 2 long with a pic. Its a matter of time. Have a safe and merry x-mas u all.