Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did this happen?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How did this happen?

I was sitting here tonight and my arm started itching.

I look down and I have poison ivy

I have done nothing to get it.No cutting wood.The last time I was in the woods was staurday and all I have done all week is work.

Not like poison ivy is easy to get this time of year,this is just boggling my mind.

It is in a place that I usually get it,on my wrist forearm region but man this is strange.

I do keep a shirt at work that I will weld in and I brought it home(to wash),it is an old hunting shirt so I am thinking it might have had some pollen left on it and I touched it just right but we are talking a couple years since this shirt has been in the woods,and I am sure it has been washed since then.

Anyone else experience something like this?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did this happen?

the oil from poison ivy can stay a LONG LONG time...thats all it takes!

calamine lotion in your christmas stocking!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

wow you seem to be pretty sensitive...I guess im lucky because ive been around poison ivy all year and the worst o got was a red rash on my hand but no boils..went away in a few hours. I use to be really allergic when i was like 5 but i guess im just awesome now or something haha. Seriously though i think i grew out of it because i stand in it all summer long when im fishing and when my in a tree stand there always seems to be a vine next to me
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, know exactly what you're talking about... I'm so sensitive to it that I've already had three steroid (Kenalog) shots since deer season started this October. (Why is it that the tree I always want to hang in has huge fuzzy poison ivy vines wrapped all around the trunk? [8D])

I used to get it bad as a kid after a long day of rabbit hunting and putting our dogs back up since they'd ran through it... I've got it in every place imagineable, except in my lungs -- thank God, which can happen after smoke inhalation if someone's burning it.

Dad took me fishing once and we didn't have any toilet paper with us... yep, you guessed it: That was before I had learned to identify it. Missed a week of school with that little caper, though I promise you I'd rather have went. Sucked sitting in a lukewarm bathtub full of corn starch from morning until night basically.

Yep, I can empathize pretty well with you...
Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its actually pretty easy to get it in the winter as well. I know guys who get it all the time from trappin, cuttin fire wood, andstuff. One guy last year I knew got it terribbly, he was covered arms chest, neck and face too Ithink.Also poison I've oils can stay on cloths for like a year if not washed. You could have got it from touching a pair of your boots or anything. I use to get it alot and badbut I htink my body became somewhat imune to it because I still get it once in awhile but only tiny spots and goes away real quick. Still that sucks and hopefully it don't get to bad for ya. Good luck. WCL
Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

You will like this Greg,the shirt I took from work is the only piece of PREDATOR camo I own.

I am not that sensitive usually,I haven't had it in a couple years.I usually just get a little patch of it and that is it and it is usually where it is now.

I have had it real bad before.Several years agoI decided to cut some camp fire wood.The wood had been in a pile for years butI didn't notice the vine runningdown the side of this log.The chainsaw covered me with saw dust that just so happened to have that nasty stuff all in it.I had it in every place imaginable,yes,there too.[:'(]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the oil was on a piece of clothing that you had worn when you were around it and you place that clothing on your skin now wich made you have that transfer of the oil. Still VERY weird. Enjoy your itching and burning sensation All I can recomen is that Technu stuff Worked great for my poison oak when i had it.

Ryan.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Its actually pretty easy to get it in the winter as well. I know guys who get it all the time from trappin, cuttin fire wood, andstuff. One guy last year I knew got it terribbly, he was covered arms chest, neck and face too Ithink.Also poison I've oils can stay on cloths for like a year if not washed. You could have got it from touching a pair of your boots or anything. I use to get it alot and badbut I htink my body became somewhat imune to it because I still get it once in awhile but only tiny spots and goes away real quick. Still that sucks and hopefully it don't get to bad for ya. Good luck. WCL

I know but I haven't done any of this.The only thing is that shirt and it has been hanging on my tool box for a couple years now,every once and a while I bring it home to wash.

This doesn't make sense.

Ido have a dog but I don't hang all over him.

Kinda makes me wonder if my sensitivity is increasing.[:'(]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Maybe the oil was on a piece of clothing that you had worn when you were around it and you place that clothing on your skin now wich made you have that transfer of the oil. Still VERY weird. Enjoy your itching and burning sensation All I can recomen is that Technu stuff Worked great for my poison oak when i had it.

Ryan.
Got it,thanks for remiding me.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean i use to get it terrible when i was a kid every where. yup even on my unit . the thing itched like crazy and swelledto double its size maybe more. scary seeing i was maybe 10 at the time. sometimes i never could figure out how i got it I'd look back and say all i did was ride my bike how could i get it from that. I haven't got it in years thank God . i don't know if you build up an immunity to it or i am just very aware of what it looks like . anyway i feel your pain and hope it doesn't itch to much. Is it possible it is a reaction to something else ? did you say you where welding, maybe flash burn ? sometimes my skin would react to a lot of welding if the skin wasn't covered good while doing it

Quick Reply: How did this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.