Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just wonder what would happen if...

Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Just wonder what would happen if...

Actually, that's quite an interesting thought. I personally haven't seen deer interact w/ any other animals, only other deer. And I think they are "familiar" faces to them. I think they recognize each other. Which is why a tarsal gland from a buck shot from afar will sometimes draw in another buck.....he knows it's a deer, but one he doesn't recognize.

You MAY be able to get away w/ it if you were wearing a whitetail "costume", but I wouldn't bet on it. I think the reason deer will watch a hiker or biker stroll by is specific to the deer living on that piece of ground. Try that anywhere else and I promise they won't stick around. They've just learned that humans aren't a threat, there. I've seen deer spook at a leaf blowing past. I simply don't believe they will tolerate ANYTHING walking toward them. MAYBE the cow "costume" would work in a pasture where there are other cows, but I've never seen deer in the same vicinity.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

As an example: I bought a this ridiculousBunny suit one year for Halloween - and when I put that thing on - my own dog went crazy. He wasn't able to draw the connection between the costume, and the fact that I was insideit.

He's a golden retriever - so he's a pretty intelligent dog.Totally unable to connect A and B.

My buddy and I keep saying that we're going to experiment with the bunny suit on a turkey in the spring in an area where there are a lot of cattle farms. The turkeys are totally desensitized to the cattle. We both seem to think that if you would stay on all fours, and just kinda mill aroundin their general direction(going back and forth slowly) - nonthreatening - and not in a direct line. It might work. That's my guess.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM

I'm suddenly picturing Ralphie in the "The Christmas Story".......
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

there ya go ...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Site Bouncer

Fran,

I don't know if it would work or not....What I DO KNOW is that I'd pay big money to watch you sneaking around a field trying to get close to deer in that horse costume!!!

I'm laughing my arse off right now just thinking about it!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

This MIiiiiighhhht just work!!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM

This thread can be taken seriously. The indians did stuff like that succesfully all the time. When I'm moving while stillhunting, I always try to makemysilhouette mimic a 4 legged animal, I bend forward at the waist, and keep my weapon pointed down and in front of me to look like another leg.

I think putting on a deer costume would be going too far though.....
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

quiksilver, THIS is the best thread I have seen in a long time!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA! I am going to dress up as a giant carrot next year and try it out.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

quiksilver, THIS is the best thread I have seen in a long time!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA! I am going to dress up as a giant carrot next year and try it out.
If you are rabbit hunting make sure baiting is legal in your area!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy and I keep saying that we're going to experiment with the bunny suit on a turkey in the spring in an area where there are a lot of cattle farms. The turkeys are totally desensitized to the cattle. We both seem to think that if you would stay on all fours, and just kinda mill aroundin their general direction(going back and forth slowly) - nonthreatening - and not in a direct line. It might work. That's my guess.
I cannot wait to see this thread.

"Well we went opening morning of turkey season and had a little success. The birds just thought I was the Easter Bunny and we got in range and got a big ole tom"

If it works then call up Bill Jordan, him and the RT boys would be all over that

Quick Reply: Just wonder what would happen if...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.