Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big name camo companies going to open patterns?

Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big name camo companies going to open patterns?

It really seems that the bigger brand names out there are listening closely to the following of open patterns such as Predator, Enigma, ASAT, Intrusion, etc.......

Do you guys think we will see the 2 big names in the industry (MO, and RT) get behind and push this trend further? Realtree I think stuck their toe in the water last year with their APG which is still appealing to the eye of the hunter that is uneducated on open patterns.......it is a step in the right direction though andmuch more open than anything they have done in the past. Iwonder if they will really push this further with another offering that is much more open with much more contrast?

Mossy Oak will be officially releasing the new Treestand pattern I hear at the SHOT show this February, below is a sneak peek at that new pattern. It looks pretty good to me.....very open andif they have a waterproof Dream Season outfit made in this pattern I think it's going to rank right up there with the Gray Wolf, and Enigma type custom clothing lines, and will probably be much less $$$ than the custom stuff as well.

Do you guys think this will start a new trend with the big names in the camo business?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big name camo companies going to open patterns?

They sure are missing the boat, right now.....from some pretty serious hunters.

The other issue is going to be the quality and workmanship of the garments. I wouldn't pay you anything for a great pattern in a sorry garment. In fact....I'd go the other way, first.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt,
I think it will.Theywould be foolish to ignore the sentiments of hunters with the experience that they/we are having with open patterns and they have the financial resources to compete for that market share.
For a number of reasons my money will continue to go to the Chuck's from Enigma and Jeff from Grey Wolf Woolens of the world.I like the personal service and attention provided by the these gentleman.I don't see Toxey or Bill getting on the phone to make sure my order is right!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

While I am happy to see that the big companies are catching on it worries me somewhat as well. The new offerings from Realtree (APG) and Mossy Oak (Treestand) are a step in the right direction, but they still are not as effective as the older open patterns because they don't have the same contrast. However, if these new big name patterns catch on it may steal some precious business away from the smaller name pattern companies and result in them going by the way side. I would be very disappointed if I found myself unable to get another ASAT 3d leafy suit or Predator Fall Grey outfit.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM

I think it will definetly be only the beginning. Shows you that there are more folks lurking around these message boards than we are aware of. They've got "pro ball" scouts everywhere. Realtree noticed it, and jumped on it. Their APG pattern has been a HUGE seller for them this year, and I'm certain it will be "improved" upon.

Guys.....We need to keep these kinds of trade secrets .....well, secrets. If we keep talking about it so much, everyone in the world will know all of our tricks......Shhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree in the sense that both of the new camos from RT and MO are more "open" than their predecessors in the sense that they utilize some lighter colors but I really do not see the contrast that needs to be there in order for them to really "open up".

That pic you pulled from AT above is not what I expected the new Treestand pattern to look like. I expected it to offer higher contrast of lights and darks based on earlier pics. I had expected it to look more like....

....but without the green.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Site Buck Guru

I really couldn't care less. I've never used an open pattern yet and it hasn't hurt my success.

As long as you don't move, I don't care what kind of camo you're wearing, a deer won't pick you out.

In my opinion, if you're in the market for a new set of camo, pick out what you like because the deer just don't care.[:-]
Old 12-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I really couldn't care less. I've never used an open pattern yet and it hasn't hurt my success.

As long as you don't move, I don't care what kind of camo you're wearing, a deer won't pick you out.

In my opinion, if you're in the market for a new set of camo, pick out what you like because the deer just don't care.[:-]
End of thread! Gospel!!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

So not true. I have been picked out of the surrounding brush by deer even though I was perfectly motionless and well hidden, so I thought.

Deer know the woods like the back of their hooves and if you stick a human sized black blob in an area that the deer frequent regularly they instantly know that that blob isn't suppose to be there and go on high alert constanly trying to catch you moving.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

that looks awsome! looks like it could really work

Quick Reply: Big name camo companies going to open patterns?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.