Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big name camo companies going to open patterns?

Old 12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big name camo companies going to open patterns?

ORIGINAL: Rick James

It really seems that the bigger brand names out there are listening closely to the following of open patterns such as Predator, Enigma, ASAT, Intrusion, etc.......

Do you guys think we will see the 2 big names in the industry (MO, and RT) get behind and push this trend further? Realtree I think stuck their toe in the water last year with their APG which is still appealing to the eye of the hunter that is uneducated on open patterns.......it is a step in the right direction though andmuch more open than anything they have done in the past. Iwonder if they will really push this further with another offering that is much more open with much more contrast?

Mossy Oak will be officially releasing the new Treestand pattern I hear at the SHOT show this February, below is a sneak peek at that new pattern. It looks pretty good to me.....very open andif they have a waterproof Dream Season outfit made in this pattern I think it's going to rank right up there with the Gray Wolf, and Enigma type custom clothing lines, and will probably be much less $$$ than the custom stuff as well.

Do you guys think this will start a new trend with the big names in the camo business?

Rick can you explain to me what you mean by this? I guess I am uneducated because I have no open style camo, but I also seem to think that I have no problem concealing myself in the hunting woods with my old realtree hd?? The only complaint that I have with realtree and MO is they are a bit on the dark side, especially MOak??

I honestly believe that any camo will work, whether it be Enigma, Predator, Realtree or mossy oak.... They all fall into different places in the hunting woods.

So based on this I cant bring myself to say that an "Open Pattern" camo is any better then the old fashioned stuff! HeyI am sure the old Army camoworks well??Thats funny when you think of it now,realtree hd and Mossy Oak will be unheard of in 10+ years, this falls into the category of things that will be extinct in the hunting world such as aluminum arrows, non back tension releases, etc... will all be things of the past eventually?? IMO
Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunters are becoming like a bunch of teenage girls who have to have the latest newest designer jeans. The more expensive the better. The old stuff used to be great. Now it is junk. A state of the art bow from 10 years can't even kill a deer today. Camo that worked great for 20 years can't possibly work now.

Did someone say MARKETING?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM

I agree with the open pattern designs as long as the design mimicks the vegetation/forest etc your hunting. Why is it that something as big as a deer, which is primarily all brown, can stand a few yds away from you & then "disappear" until they actually move? I don't know the answer, but I guess i would use the military for the example in arguing with those that say the "old" camo works as well as the new stuff. Why has the military changed it's pattern from olive green, to the forest camo & now the digitized stuff. They also have various colors & styles to match the terrain they're in. I think it comes down to looking like the area your hunting. In nature, moth, insects, etc, all immitate the vegetation/terrain theyr'e in. This is to be either the hunter or the hunted.