Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting around me

Old 12-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting around me

I got the following post off a forum that is frequented by "hunters" that live mostly in So. MD. This is one of the reasons I don't regularly visit those forums. It seems that every other thread is about unrecovered deer or decisions like the this guy made.

tonight was a confusing night. i sat most of the day in one stand and didn't see anything. i was just about to climb down when heard what sounded like a stampede. i believe it was a buck pushing two does. i couldn't see real well and eventually what i think was the buck came through my shooting lane with his nose to the ground and i released the arrow(yes i was bowhunting). it wheeled around and ran about twenty yards and stood there for a few minutes. i figured i missed and watched the deer walk up the hill next to me with its tail betweeen its legs. i went down to find the arrow and to my suprise it was coated in bright red blood. not a extrremely lot of it, but still coated in blood.

i couldn't find any blood and i did find one spot of clear/brown liquid that smeelled like deer. my plan is to head back in the morning and head up the trail i watched it walk on.

pretty bummed. i did the same thing last weekend and couldn't find a doe i shot.

i found it this morning floating in the middle of a pond. iill post pics later

btw ended up being a doe not a buck

He did not recover this deer because the water was deeper than he liked

Oh, and nobody in the thread thought shooting at something you could barely see was a bad idea
Old 12-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting around me

Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

50 bucks if it was a "BUCK" he would have went in after it.

My 3rd doe I went swimming[&:]
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would be nice to hear the full story instead of going off parts of it, paste the whole story from the hunter instaed of parts if your able.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

It would be nice to hear the full story instead of going off parts of it, paste the whole story from the hunter instaed of parts if your able.
That was his whole story in that particualr thread. I have editted out names and other identifying features:

Hunting » xxxxxxxxxxxx» i don't know
http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=deer&action=display&thread =1196552865

[hr]

i don't know
Post byxxxxxxxx on Dec 1, 2007, 6:47pm

tonight was a confusing night. i sat most of the day in one stand and didn't see anything. i was just about to climb down when heard what sounded like a stampede. i believe it was a buck pushing two does. i couldn't see real well and eventually what i think was the buck came through my shooting lane with his nose to the ground and i released the arrow(yes i was bowhunting). it wheeled around and ran about twenty yards and stood there for a few minutes. i figured i missed and watched the deer walk up the hill next to me with its tail betweeen its legs. i went down to find the arrow and to my suprise it was coated in bright red blood. not a extrremely lot of it, but still coated in blood.

i couldn't find any blood and i did find one spot of clear/brown liquid that smeelled like deer. my plan is to head back in the morning and head up the trail i watched it walk on.

pretty bummed. i did the same thing last weekend and couldn't find a doe i shot.

[hr]

Re: i don't know
Post byyyyyyyyyyy on Dec 1, 2007, 7:36pm

Good idea letting it sit overnight. A rutting buck may not even realize he's been hit and then walk off. I have shot two bucks like that and the shot ended up being a bit high and back. Good luck in the morning, bring someone to give you a hand, two eyes are always better than one.

[hr]

Post bymmmmmmm on Dec 1, 2007, 8:28pm

Dec 1, 2007, 7:36pm, hardcorehunter wrote:

bring someone to give you a hand, two eyes are always better than one.

Er, wouldn't that be four eyes???

Hope you find it xxxxxxxxxx

[hr]

Post byyyyyyyyyyyyyy on Dec 1, 2007, 8:39pm

I meant sets. Good Luck.

[hr]

Post byrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Dec 1, 2007, 10:32pm

yyyyyyyyyyyyhas it right .. The sign you describe is usally a shot that is back

[hr]

Post byxxxxxxxxxxxx on Dec 2, 2007, 11:37am

i found it this morning floating in the middle of a pond. iill post pics later

[hr]

Post byxxxxxxxxxxxx on Dec 2, 2007, 11:38am

btw ended up being a doe not a buck

[hr]

Post by gggggggggggg on Dec 2, 2007, 1:41pm

Glad to hear you found it.

[hr]

Post byyyyyyyyyyyyy on Dec 2, 2007, 7:53pm

Glad you found it. Where did you end up hitting the deer?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the (non)"recovery" thread :

Hunting » xxxxxxxxxxx» floating doe
http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=deer&action=display&thread =1196629686

[hr]

floating doe
Post byxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Dec 2, 2007, 4:08pm

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff163/vinniebow/?action=view¤t=120207_12352.jpg

well i found my doe. too bad i couldn't get to her

[hr]

Re: floating doe
Post bypppppppppp on Dec 2, 2007, 4:53pm

Dec 2, 2007, 4:08pm, vinnieb wrote:

well i found my doe. too bad i couldn't get to her

Couldn't get to her?????
Good Lord man, you ain't gonna melt!

I got a COLD wet @$$ at Assateague after stupidly shooting a sika ACROSS one of the guts. Stripped down ,figuring how deep could it be? Turns out PLENTY deep! AND colder than I ever thought. I was shaking so bad I could barely field dress her. I REALLY didn't want to cross back to my gun,clothes,and pack! I double timed back to the truck and dry clothes.

Killed a tiny yearling that was limping badly at the north tract at Chapmans Landing. Tracks right into the swamp/backwater above the cliffs there. I could seea trail through the duckweed and slime. Just above my knees, but that was PLENTY deep. Stuck it out and killed another!

If your going to shoot something, you need to make EVERY possible effort to recover it and utilize it!

[hr]

Post byoooooooooo on Dec 2, 2007, 4:58pm

Ask yourself this - if it was a huge 16 point state record, would you have gotten wet to get it? If yes, then you should have gotten wet for this one, or humped a canoe, rope and gappling hook, or something in there!

[hr]

Post bytttttttttttttttttt on Dec 2, 2007, 5:06pm

Great point and well put
Dec 2, 2007, 4:58pm,ooooooooooo wrote:

Ask yourself this - if it was a huge 16 point state record, would you have gotten wet to get it? If yes, then you should have gotten wet for this one, or humped a canoe, rope and gappling hook, or something in there!

[hr]

Post byxxxxxxxxxxx on Dec 2, 2007, 5:31pm

i tried everyhting i could think of. i tried wading out but i sunk to my waste and could hardly get out. i climbed out on a fallen down tree, when the tree snapped and i went in to my waste, a hooked it with a rope and hook but it is hung up on a log, and tried to unlodge it with a long branch but couldn't get it to budge.

plus the pond its floating in is basically a sewage pond

[hr]

Post bydddddddddd on Dec 2, 2007, 7:23pm

I'll hop in ddddddddd's boat on this one! "If your going to shoot something, you need to make EVERY possible effort to recover it and utilize it! "

Quite frankly, that's YOUR responsibility as a hunter.

[hr]

Post byxxxxxxxxxxxx on Dec 2, 2007, 7:36pm

guys i need other suggestions. i don't have a boat as a option. i don't own a boat nor does any one i know(well not one that i could drag through the woods back to a pond)

i spent a hour and a half trying to find another way to get her out before it started raining.

[hr]

Post bydddddddddddd on Dec 2, 2007, 7:50pm

hey,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx i hunt swamps a lot and have deer go into deep water. If no boat try this get about 30 ft of 3/8 to 1/2 rope tie a 1 pound lead weight on it about 3 inchs above the weight tie a trebble hook on cut one side of trebble off ( it helps if you miss) wade as far as you can pitch it over her when you feel the weight bump her give a quick jerk. it works..

[hr]

Post bybbbbbbbbbbb on Dec 2, 2007, 7:56pm

I have hunted a lot of wetlands and here is what we did in NC. I have an old queen size air mattress that uses a small battery operated pump to blow up. It is very light and we would leave it in the truck and just pack it in when we needed it. Use a small ore it works and is light. Get out to it tie a rope on it and head back, pull it in when you get to shore. I do all i can to get a dead deer.

I cant help but think back to your first post on this and from the way you set it up it didn't sound like you had the best opportunity for a shot in the first place. I was not there and don't know any more that what you told us. I pass on a lot because of just not having the shot that i think will drop them quick or the right amount of light.

[hr]

Post byhhhhhhhhhhhh on Dec 2, 2007, 8:04pm

If you recover it I still wouldn't eat it. Sewage tends to spoil meat.

[hr]

Post byrrrrrrrrrr on Dec 2, 2007, 8:24pm

I know I am hard of hearing, but my eyes are still good and I can't see a deer in the pic. Could some one give me some directions?

[hr]

Post byhhhhhhhhhh on Dec 2, 2007, 8:28pm

Top right of his hat.

[hr]

Post bydddddddddd on Dec 2, 2007, 9:50pm

Heck, now you REALLY need a bowfishing rig!

I ate the one that I fetched out of the Potomac.
Now THAT'S sewage!

[hr]

Post by oooooo on Dec 3, 2007, 8:28am

You'll still get wet and nasty, but try a swimming pool raft from walmart. Light enough to carry in, blow it up, paddle out, tie a rope on her, paddle back in, then drag her to dry ground.

If it's the second day she's been floating, though, I wouldn't eat her, but something to plan for next time...

[hr]

Post byxxxxxxxxxxxx on Dec 3, 2007, 8:20pm

i tried the fishing rod idea. i hooked her in the back leg and pulled but instead of pulling her straight it hooked more onto the log. i yanked and yanked and eventually broke the line. i tried again with a regular hook as i used my only treble the first time and could get it to hook up

[hr]

Post by bbbbbbbbbbb on Dec 4, 2007, 2:14pm

screw it.

[hr]

Post by rrrrrrrrrrr on Dec 4, 2007, 3:47pm

Better luck next time. Personally I don't think I would have eaten it after it soaked the first night.

[hr]

Post bymmmmmmmmmm on Dec 4, 2007, 4:13pm

Dont worry.....fish got to eat too!

[hr]

Post bynnnnnnnnnnn on Dec 4, 2007, 4:30pm

Sucks that you couldn't get her. You tried. Thing's gonna stink to high hell, though.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

[][:'(][:@]

Quick Reply: Bowhunting around me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.