Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

READY TO HUNT BOW PACKAGES, SHOOT OUT OF THE BOX??

Old 01-28-2003, 11:07 PM

Default READY TO HUNT BOW PACKAGES, SHOOT OUT OF THE BOX??

Hey guys,

Check these things out. http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm

I wonder what these things are actually like. They wouldn't be a bad deal if they could actually come to you paper-tuned, with the peep sight in the right place, and shooting accurate "roughly", but, I wonder if this is possilbe because isn't every archer different?

The Ben Pearson Diamondback VX looks like a good deal, and, I plan on going to a local pro-shop to shoot one this week. Could these bows possibly come "tuned" and "sighted in"? The kit for it looks good. They used some quality products to set it up, the only thing sketchy to me is that the IBO speed on this bow is 302 f.p.s. and they say that when shipped to you, the bow should be in the 275-300 f.p.s. range. With everything on that bow, shooting arrows with the proper weight and broadheads, could you come even close to 275 f.p.s. with a bow that has all of that on it?

I figured that this would be a good topic, can't wait to hear the replies.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet

Check out my hunting PICS here http://community.webshots.com/user/buckmagnet
Old 01-29-2003, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: READY TO HUNT BOW PACKAGES, SHOOT OUT OF THE BOX??

Hey Buck! I agree this should be a good topic, IMO yes it should be able to shoot right out of the box. My explanation is simple. I've shot bows that belong to several friends and the ones that had the same draw length were setup just like mine. The longer drawlength bows I had to hold different in order to see thru the peep, Same with the short draw bows except I had to hold them higher. If you get the right drawlength, I see no reason that it wouldn't shoot well right out of the box.

As for the speed?It really depends on the arrow you get, coupled with the points and nocks and vanes/feathers.

I know there are people who know more than I on this, and I'd like to here their point of view.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what it's all about?
Old 01-29-2003, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

When people walk into a pro shop to buy a bow, 99% of them walk out the door with a 'professional setup' and a basic tune. Most of those guys make a couple of quick sight adjustments and they're 'ready to hunt.' At least someone going to a pro shop stands a better chance of getting set up with the correct draw length, but even that's an iffy proposition at far too many shops.

As to whether those packages are 'hunt ready', I guess it depends on whether you want your equipment tuned to a fine edge, perfectly matched to your personal shooting style, or whether you want to try to get by with a sloppy generic setup.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

i havent even shot a bow except when i was little but to me i think the tuning would go from person to person becuase of the diffrent styles and such...and to me i want to tune mine myself to know its done properly and tuned perfectly...but man it comes with EVERYTHING...thats not a bad deal and you can also take it through the tuning process when you get it just to be sure..maybe i will look at one of those instead of setting up an old bow that needs about everything but the basic bow itself replaced...could save me money in the long run and that bow is still set on max draw wieght and been in my garage for atleast 3 yrs like that...i duno but i dont think it will be too good of shape when i get to it...maybe i will rethink that...thanx BM you probally just saves me money in the longrun lol
Old 01-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought two of these packages, one from Bear and one from PSE. In both cases the bows were fine but the accessories were bottom of the line.

Quivers broke, sights had only one slot to adjust pins which could not get close enough, rests were off brands with little adjustablity.

No one else can sight in your bow. Even if it were perfectly paper tuned, you would have to adjust the sights to fit you and the way you shoot.

The Browning package looks like it comes with quality components but you are still going to have to tune it and sight in.
HTH

Old 01-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buck Magnet I bought a Browning Ambush package and as Steve says Brownings do come with quality accessories. I would reccomend you do as I did though and buy your bow at a bow shop and have them get it set up for you. After the pro got it initially setup we walked back to the range and I shot the bow, he tweaked the 20 yard pin a few times and by my 4th shot I was cutting bulls at 20 yards.

You may be able to get your local pro shop to set one up for you that you purchased mail order or off the net. Unless you know how to fine tune a bow and make it fit you, I would have a pro do it for you.

Could you load the bow up and shoot the proper weight arrow for hunting and get 275 f.p.s.? You might come close, but beleive it or not f.p.s. is not a crucial factor in hunting, the KE you deliver and the accuracy of your shot is what kills deer, as a matter of fact the faster a bow is, the harder it is for a novice archer to be consistant with.

Once you get the bow set up if you want to tweek it I would suggest going to the tech forum, there are some really knowledgeable folks that will help you out.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-29-2003, 09:55 AM

O, Tazman,

I am not planning on buying one of these packages. I am heading to my local pro-shop where I got my Hoyt MT Sport last year to check out the new 2003 Hoyts. If I like the DynaTec, I am probablly going to buy it today and buy all my extra's off the internet. I figure that with tax, the Hoyt DynaTec with cam and a half system, will come out to 487.55. Then, all the accessories will come out to 360.58. So, for $848.13 which is what the good packages on that site cost. And I would be getting a VERY high quality bow with the best accessories. I can install all of my own accessories and tune my own bow.

I was just seeing what everyones opinion on these is. I personally wouldnt buy one, because I demand the best, and even though these are high quality products and accessories, they don't make it into my "BEST" category.

Old 01-29-2003, 10:42 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Arthur,

Well said!

JRW
Old 01-29-2003, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Arthur I agree with JRW, you said a mouthfull.

Buck Magnet, the top of the line may not be the right bow for you, yet again maybe it will. A bow must fit you and feel good, I do not care if it is the fastest shooting, most expensive bow on the market, if it feels wrong or doesn't fit you, then you have lost half of the battle, the most important thing with a bow and many other thing is not how much it cost, but how confident you feel with your equipment.

Do not make the mistake of using price and brand name be the determining factor in the bow you get, go to several pro-shops and try different bows, I think you will be truely surprised in the difference between different models of bows made by the same company and also by different companies. Ignore the price and buy the bow that is a good quality bow that feels like it is part of you. You may find that the only bow that feels good is the most expensive, but you may be pleasantly surprised to find that a mid ranged priced bow fits you. A bow is a personal thing and everyone is different.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-29-2003, 12:30 PM

O Tazman,

Trust me, I am not buying the first bow I pick up. Last year I shot so many bows that I can't remember them all, and I ended up with a Hoyt MT Sport being the best fit. They new DynaTec looks like it is close to the MT Sport in dimensions, but, that doesn't mean I am deffinetly going to buy it. I will be shooting some Mathews, Brownings, and Martins also. I have decided to stop at the local BowTech dealer before I head up there to shoot the new BowTechs, PSE's, and High Countrys.

Quick Reply: READY TO HUNT BOW PACKAGES, SHOOT OUT OF THE BOX??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.