Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone ever heard of 97.3fp of KE?

Old 12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever heard of 97.3fp of KE?

Sylvan I'm only kidding....and I understand you rpoint. But my point is.....if the archer can handle EITHER draw, with ease......what difference does it really make?

Again...I understand your point....but I think MANY eople are working under a (sometimes) false assumption that 70#'s of draw is "excessive". I think there are PLENTY of people who are oaverdrawn.....but there's also a contingency that has NO PROBLEMS drawing 70#'s. I think....to these people....."efficiency" might not be high n their list of priorities.

As I get older....and decrease my draw poundage.....I admit....your point will become more and more valid.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,

I know you understand, that's why I said it was a rhetorical question. But I think you might have missed the point I was trying to make though. This discussion has been in the context of what makes a good bow, not whether or not you have enoughsurplus physicalprowess to be able to throw an arrow 300 plus ft/sec whether it's from a high quality high efficieny bow or a piece of crap. That's the point. Just saying a bow shot an arrow at 100 ft/lbs ke says nothingto impress me about thebow and whether or not you can draw it back and shoot it with ease is irrelevant. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that when it comes to evaluating a bow, I do care if she can cook! lol...

take care!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

I guess the point I was trying to make is this, you can drop your arrow weight by 100 grains, have an increase in velocity enough to maintain the same (or nearly the same) kinetic energy. Somebody sees, wow, both bows can achieve XX kinetic energy, but one has more momentum than the other, which is what I feel is most important when killing deer.But in the end, I think you probably still need to know what arrow weights and speed were used for any calculation to find the truth of things.

Dropping arrow weight alone doesn't mean more kinetic energy, you have to have enough of an increase in speed to accomplish that. Just to clarify.

Very interesting discussion.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur,

Over nearly a decade of visiting various bowhunting forums, I've cut and pasted especially poignant writings that will either help me explain or understand various aspects of archery. Thanks for making another contribution in post #66 to my personal collection.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you, Greg!That's only the second or third time I've gotten one of those in the 10 years or so I've been here.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you this: it's not because a LOT more of your posts haven't been deserving, that's for sure. I saved your "tiller" post as well, and almost made it a sticky. I still might.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Practically speaking the KE of the arrow will always be less that the stored energy of the bow.

Impractically speaking, one can do slightly better. Pulling the bow back stores energy not only in the bow but also in the archer's body. Keeping a slightly bent left arm will help storing that energy in a way that makes it available. Couple that with a bow with 100% efficiency and one gets KE that is slightly more than the stored energy in the bow.

See http://goarchers.bravehost.com/which talks about recurves and target shootingmostly, but is a greate site.