Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone ever heard of 97.3fp of KE?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Default RE: Anyone ever heard of 97.3fp of KE?

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I'd like to find a company that makes left handed stuff in a timely manner. It gets VERY old, lol.
BowTech does
Weren't the Guardian's late last year?
They weren't pregnant, were they??
Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the Cardiac you are thinking of
Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

That's the Cardiac you are thinking of

Old 12-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I have to ask though;

For the majority of the hunting most folks on this forum do (whitetail and turkey) how necessary is it to generate that much KE?

Seems to me that KE in the mid- to upper 60's would be more than enough.
Of course it isn't necessary to generate that much KE to kill a deer, but the bow manufacturers have to come up with something to convince people to buy new bows. When it comes to killing a deer, I think momentum is more important than KE, but that's just me. If you want to just kill deer, I think the goal is to be able to pull back the bow slowly and quietly, be able to hold back fora little while if needed and shoot accurately and quietly. Then send enough weight out there so that the arrow hits hard and smashes through bone. (aka momentum) Buying a bow with 80lbs of pull just might be a little difficult to shoot accurately andwithout much movement in the woods when the temp is 20 degrees, even if it has 150 fp of KE. Just my opinion.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, this turned into a good discussion. Keep it going guys. I learn something new every day.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Whatimpresses me about a bow is not whether the result is 97.3, 150.3 or 50.3 ft/lbs of KE but rather how much of the workdone to draw the bow back actually winds up as arrow kinetic energy. In other words, how efficient is it? If I weretrying to maximize KE and my choice is between a bow that transfers 80% of the stored energy to a given weight arrow and one that transfers 85% then no question I'd gowith the 85% model. All else would be irrelevant. Just telling me that a bow shot an arrow at90 ft/lbs doesn't mean much. Now if the archer only did 100 ft/lbs of work to get that result then man you've really got something. That's 90% efficient! But, ff he did 180 ft/lbs of work then in my opinion the bow is crap at only 50% efficient.

I like to keep in mind that ALL the energy that winds up on the arrow comes from the archer, not the bow. The better the bow at transfering that energy the more KE you wind up with, but an archer that is physically capable of a maximum of say 80 ft/lbsis never going to throw an arrow at 81 ft/lbs ke and it doesn't matter what bow he buys.
Wow, good post. I'm impressed.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Whatimpresses me about a bow is not whether the result is 97.3, 150.3 or 50.3 ft/lbs of KE but rather how much of the workdone to draw the bow back actually winds up as arrow kinetic energy. In other words, how efficient is it? If I weretrying to maximize KE and my choice is between a bow that transfers 80% of the stored energy to a given weight arrow and one that transfers 85% then no question I'd gowith the 85% model. All else would be irrelevant. Just telling me that a bow shot an arrow at90 ft/lbs doesn't mean much. Now if the archer only did 100 ft/lbs of work to get that result then man you've really got something. That's 90% efficient! But, ff he did 180 ft/lbs of work then in my opinion the bow is crap at only 50% efficient.

I like to keep in mind that ALL the energy that winds up on the arrow comes from the archer, not the bow. The better the bow at transfering that energy the more KE you wind up with, but an archer that is physically capable of a maximum of say 80 ft/lbsis never going to throw an arrow at 81 ft/lbs ke and it doesn't matter what bow he buys.
Wow, good post. I'm impressed.

Me too! Had a simular conversation via PM's with a few other fellows on here awhile back. It's exactly what makes a good hunting bow. Good post Sylvan.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd like to understand that.....but I don't (Sylvan's post).

As long as an archer has no issues pulling the draw weight.....is there a DISadvantage to more KE? I understand wantng to be "most" efficient. But I'm asking what difference it makes if the archer can handle the draw.

I won't be shooting my bow at 71#'s.....but is this a valid question?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

APA black Mamba x1. At 80 lbs, 30 inch, it is over 111 ftlb's of KE, easily into the high 90's at 70 if it is tuned right. quiet and shock free. Only problem, very low brace....
Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understand wanting to be "most" efficient. But I'm asking what difference it makes if the archer can handle the draw.
The differenceis thatthe excess energy that is not transfered to the arrow still has to be dispensed. Could be in the form of vibration, niose, hand shock, etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard of 97.3fp of KE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.