Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thoughts confirmed on less deer this year where I hunt--stats and possible reasons

Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thoughts confirmed on less deer this year where I hunt--stats and possible reasons

I hunt on Quantico military base in Northern Virginia. We usually kill around 800-1000 deer a year on the base. This year, as of today, less than 400 deer have been killed, with only 3 weeks left of season. Even if we take 200 more deer in 3 weeks(highly unlikley), that would be a drop of around 25%-30%. That is alot of deer. I have spent the majority of my days afield without seeing a single deer. I arrowed all three deer this year during a 10 day period in late Oct.-early November.

Only things I can think of that have been different the last few years have been:

1) 2 drought ridden summers
2) an increase in the coyote population
3) The inclusion of crossbows during the bow season

Those are really the only things that I can think of, with numbers 2 and 3 probably not making any difference at all. Has been a very tough year in terms of seeing deer.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Did the deer herd bounce back?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thoughts confirmed on less deer this year where I hunt--stats and possible reasons

Did you guys have Blue Tongue?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts confirmed on less deer this year where I hunt--stats and possible reasons

Animals go where the water is. Is there no water source for them on/near the base?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe they've just finally got the numbers down far enough such that 400 may be your new yearly sustainable harvest?

Seen it in a managed park around here. First few years they'd get 200-250 does. After about the 1st 3-4 years of that the herd stabilized and they take much fewer now.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Did you guys have Blue Tongue?
Bingo!! That did it at the farms we hunt. One of the farmers up the road told us yesterday he found 80 deer on 3 properties, all of which have ponds and were the last remaining water source during the drought. Deer sightings and kills are down to around the same as your numbers. Normally we would take between 15and 25 deer annually between 5 guys. This year we are down to 7 kills as of today.

Its Mother Natures way of thinning the herd. She breaks all the weak branches off trees in high winds, knocks weak trees over, kills weak animals in severe cold or when overbrowsing occurs, etc.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bruce, there is water...a few big lakes and some perennial streams. But I remember a few years ago when it hit a really bad drought, many of the 3-4 foot streams were completely dry for 3-4 months. It was also really dry this summer.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many factors come into play. I know here in NY, we have plenty of deer. Their movements have been funny this year, though. Well conditioned paths that were a lock for seeing deer before went unused this year. I know in part this is due to a group of coyotes that have taken residence in the area. Still, I see deer almost daily, just slightly shifted in their routine. Time to get rid of some "yotes", I believe.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some streams on public land I hunt were dried up this year but, since that wasn't their only water source in these places, it really didn't seem to have any effect. Perhaps it was Blue Tongue down your way. Was there any/many dead deer sightings? I can't say that I heard about any BT deaths here in So. MD.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt NO VA, primarily Madison, Culpepper, Prince William and Fauquier counties. I've seen more deer this year then in years past. I must have seen 60+ deer on the way home from work, just last evening. One group of deer at the PW and Loundon county line of 30+, playing in the side yard of a million dollar home. Deer were moving all over the place yesterday, to bad I was stuck in the office. 2 Saturdays agoI saw over 35 deer in one group during a morning hunt. I was unable to get off a shot because of the dogs who were close on their tails. The only difference I've seen from years past is the weather pattern. This year we didn't seecooler temps until late November early December. No need for the deer to move if it is brite, sunny and 70 degrees. They can feedand drink all night long. IMO the only thing the so called drought impacted were the farmers crops and the flowers my wife planted. The only thing I saw dried up were very very small creeks and run offs. All the resevoirs, ponds, streams and runs had plently of water to sustain any type of wildlife. On only4 occassions during this years hunting season did I not see any deer. On each occassion I only hunted a half day. Time to get off the base and hunt some other ground. Maybe, they don't like all the guns. LOL

I don't understand whypowers to be, say were having a drought. The water was flowing just fine out of my kitchen spicket. I'm sure the peopleof Africa would love to have a Virginia drought.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's some more real life numbers.

Last season.....I had 326 deer SIGHTINGS in 46 sits......and I harvested 5 whitetails.

This season....I had 203 deer SIGHTINGS in 48 sits......and I harvested 9 whitetails.

I have my own way of looking at this.....but it would be interesting to see what others thought was "different", this year.

Quick Reply: Thoughts confirmed on less deer this year where I hunt--stats and possible reasons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.