Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"In" or "Out"?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "In" or "Out"?

Regardless of fence height, I think when you are talking about a thousand acres or more, it is not really "canned" hunting. I certainly think you need more than a four foot fence to keep the idiots (humans) out, though.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who wants in? [8D]
I want out
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Schultzy....

4 feet high! Big difference!
Let me give you a real-life example. Between where I live and where Farmcntry lives (probably only 15-20 minutes)....is a tract of land owned by RJ Reynolds. I GUARANTEE you there are some 150"+ deer in there. They have NO interest in them. They have people come in every so often and shoot them. The antlers are buried on site and are never allowed to leave the property. The meat is all processed at one plant (My processor does it) and they donate the meat to the food bank.

If that high fence wasn't there.....(several square miles).....I GUARANTEE you there would be poachers. I'm not saying there isn't now. But THAT fence sure makes for great neighbors!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if they really want too, poachers WILL find a way in your land, no matter how high your fences are.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nick_bleuer76

I think if they really want too, poachers WILL find a way in your land, no matter how high your fences are.
Yea like cut the fence and let whats in-out.Im sure this has happened.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

If that high fence wasn't there.....(several square miles).....I GUARANTEE you there would be poachers. I'm not saying there isn't now. But THAT fence sure makes for great neighbors
On the other hand if the fence wasn't there the deer could freely roam where they want and somone on the next property might get a poke at a nice deer.

It's nice that they donate the meat however.

Fences are there to keep things in.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

But....I've heard the high fence guys say the reason for their fences wasn't to keep the animals "IN".....but to keep others (PEOPLE) "OUT".
Only works if there is a manned machine gun nest every 50 yards.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Schultzy....

4 feet high! Big difference!
Let me give you a real-life example. Between where I live and where Farmcntry lives (probably only 15-20 minutes)....is a tract of land owned by RJ Reynolds. I GUARANTEE you there are some 150"+ deer in there. They have NO interest in them. They have people come in every so often and shoot them. The antlers are buried on site and are never allowed to leave the property. The meat is all processed at one plant (My processor does it) and they donate the meat to the food bank.

If that high fence wasn't there.....(several square miles).....I GUARANTEE you there would be poachers. I'm not saying there isn't now. But THAT fence sure makes for great neighbors!

Agree! Is it fair chase? Not really! But it does keep most of the idiots out, money isn't an issue so thats why they did it i'm sure. No way in heck would i put up 10' to 12' fences on my property to keep poachers out. Reputation alone keeps most out of my area, they don't like getting chased around and chewed to extreem measures!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's funny most of us detest high fence ranches. I hope Buckeye checks in to this thread..Cuz we have a local Area called Meander Lake. It's where most of our area's water supply comes from. You are not allowed anywhere near it for fishing/boating/hunting/hiking NOTHING! for fear of contaminating the water (?). The whole area is fenced and it's (guessing) several thousand acres. I could drive by there right now (high-noon)and see deer feeding near the roads (other side of fence).

The divers putting up a new bridge say there are catfish down there the size of men. I can see rubs in there on trees so big, it's scary.

Most of us in this area would love to get a crack at going in there. Does it make a moraldifference that the area wasn't designed for hunting?? Suppose they opened it to thin the herd and I was drawn..would I be a hiprocate???

(ps that will probably never happen..but the question is still valid)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

It's funny most of us detest high fence ranches. I hope Buckeye checks in to this thread..Cuz we have a local Area called Meander Lake. It's where most of our area's water supply comes from. You are not allowed anywhere near it for fishing/boating/hunting/hiking NOTHING! for fear of contaminating the water (?). The whole area is fenced and it's (guessing) several thousand acres. I could drive by there right now (high-noon)and see deer feeding near the roads (other side of fence).

The divers putting up a new bridge say there are catfish down there the size of men. I can see rubs in there on trees so big, it's scary.

Most of us in this area would love to get a crack at going in there. Does it make a moraldifference that the area wasn't designed for hunting?? Suppose they opened it to thin the herd and I was drawn..would I be a hiprocate???

(ps that will probably never happen..but the question is still valid)
Someone's gotta thin the herd! Weather its wrong or right the herd still needs to be thined to keep disease's from spreading. Birds can spread disease's from one deer to the next!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.