Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wool Hunting Suits, Best Suits Available?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Wool Hunting Suits, Best Suits Available?

I'm looking at the Cabela's, Woolrich and Columbia wool suits.

Any good reports on these brand name suits. I know of the woolrich high quality products and price tag, which doesn't bother me because it would be a long lasting suit.
I live in michigan where it is cold in Nov& Dec.
Give me some feedback / experience=Thank You
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Wool Hunting Suits, Best Suits Available?

I wear a Weatherby wool outfit.....and I wear it a lot. I would reccommend staying far away from the Columbia wool....from my experience it is poor quality and everything sticks to it. If you aren't worried about the money and want top quality wool I would reccommend looking at Filson, King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian.

I wore my wool in SK a few weeks ago and it was brutally cold.....lows -20 and highs around 0, but I was toasty warm......Sorry guys,I have to post the pic again.....

Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Woolrich jacket and pants from 1988 Still in good shape. It is warm.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

King of the Hill (if only I could afford). Sounds dumb, but also check salvation army, goodwill type stores. Sometimes you can find very good bargains on wool for layering.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be looking for any chance to post that pic when I could too, Dan...

I've got a few items from Gray Wolf Woolens in 100% wool that I absolutely LOVE! My wool bomber jacket I picked up a few years ago has probably been my best clothing investment I've ever made.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I picked up a set of Browning Wools new on ebay last year. I love them. Very warm and comfortable. They price was very reasonable.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sleeping Indian
King of the Mountain
Gray Wolf Woolens
Day One Camouflage
Filson

The above are all a "cut" above the ones you mentioned. Of course the price tag is higher too. A good tight weaved wool product is hard to beat. Wind can be an issue but that is whywe layer....
Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 AM

I use Codet for my outerwear. I consider it to be a mid range product, comparable to Woolrich, but I've been satisfied with it. The price is low end for real wool. My next pair of bibs will probably be Filson. I'm not sure I'd recommend the Filson outer garmets for upper body. Most of them are unlined, and button front, designed for active use, not specifically for deer hunting. I prefer a coat with a zipper, and a wind resistant liner. My Codet is just right.

For under layers, I've scored some fantastic deals at second hand stores. I have a black commando sweater, 100% wool, ribbed, with elbow and shoulder patches, wearing the Cabela's label that I bought for $3. It is my favorite garmet. I also have a light turtle neck sweater, 100% Merino wool, it is the cat's ass forlayer one, doesn't itch at all. I bought it out of a $0.99 bin at goodwill. I also have a Herter's Brush buster green wool flannel that I use a lot, dropped a 5 dollar bill for it.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan
Sold!!! anyone who hunts in Wisconsin and Canada and tells me they hunt in something that is warm, I'M LISTENING.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:18 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

some of the mentioned brands I never heard of.
Question, if the wool is tightly woven, shouldn't it block wind effectively?

Quick Reply: Wool Hunting Suits, Best Suits Available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.