Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting "on the Fly"?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Hunting "on the Fly"?

I spend so much time planing and mulling things over it's rediculous. My GF calls me anal-lytical. [:-]

She's right, but I'm happy with my results. However, I could be mid-stride on my way to a preplanned destination and do a 180 and go somewhere else if a new idea that'll work enters my mind.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt State land a lot around here in Wisconsin! So I need to have back up plan A,B and C. There are times when I go to an area where I'm thinking of hunt only to find another hunter hunting this area, so I move on! I'm not one to molest another persons hunt. I have no problem with hunting the State land I just need to be prepared! So I guess I hunt on the fly a lot!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get up check the weather and wind direction,pick my spot and go hunting.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM

I changed my approach this year from being very analytical to just going out there and having fun... Only hunting when I felt like.. Or when the weather was just right.

I've enjoyed this season!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting the same piece of property (public) for 12 or 13 years now. There's no set pattern the deer have here. They just walk through the woods. Sometimes over here, sometimes over there. I've always just picked a spot (or general area) depending on the wind and time of day. The spot where I shot my one and only deer last year was the first time I hunted that spot all season. And the spot I shot my buck in this year was the first time I ever set up there. The more I hunt the more analytical I'vre been getting, but the times I just say "let's see what I see over here", I usually see something.

I guess I should just say I hunt on the fly, at times only deciding where I'm going when I start walking into the woods. It really adds the the whole 'adventure' of it all. Maybe that's why I still get so excited when I got out.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

In late Sept. of 1995
?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

In late Sept. of 1995
?
I saw that too, and was wondering.

When I first started hunting the properties I now hunt, I analized my next moves for every hunt. Now that I have been hunting these areas for 10+ years I just kinda rely on past experiences and hunt the same spots that have been good to me. But that being said I always seem to find new spots while shed hunting or just scouting the woods. Then I find a time that I think it would be right to hunt that new area and go for it.

But like others have said, I leave the house thinking I am going to one stand and for some reason I end up in another oneI just have a feeling about.

Then there are a few stands that I don't hunt all season just so I can hunt there during the rut, because there is always action there at that time.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like that Treebark dude...

I analyze.. analyze some more.. then re-analyze the whole scenario again. Every move I make is not without much deliberation. I have been known to spend hours in the field searching every tree within a area I want to hang analyzing every entrance and exit a deer can take.. and the wind to hunt it.. the route to get to it.. ETC. ETC.

I study aerials at night while watching television. Topo's too.

When the conditions call for it I can be very instinctive. But I think most those instincts have evolved from past experiences and general knowledge of whitetail behavior. At times I do believe my over-analyzation have hindered my instinctive nature and caused possible 'missed' opportunities at some great bucks. But there can be a fine line between instinct and just plain laziness too.[&:]
Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty analytical. I gaze at GoogleEarth, internet Tax Maps, GPS coordinatesand Topo Maps during the off season.I use the ambush saddle for all of my bow stands and my trees are prepped from Jan-May. I avoid all of my stands from May-Oct except for hanging a feeder for nannywhacking.

During the season, I use internet weather predicitons of wind direction and GoogleEarth to select perspective stands for the following day. On my way to the stand, I call the local airport automated weather system to verify wind direction and then I double check it with the powdery stuff when I arrive. I am happy to walk an extra mile if I can avoid jumping a deer on the way to the stand.

I want to be as confident as possible that I am in the right spot. This makes it easier for me to relax and know I have done everything possible to ensure I am in the best spot. The intense stand prep is part of the sport to me.

Quick Reply: Hunting "on the Fly"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.